Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How Many Words Is Too Long for a LOCI?

Hey gang!

My LOCI is clocking in at about 550 words. It's one page, with 8 inch margins, single spaced (spaces between paragraphs). Is this too long? I'm trying to be as specific as possible and name what I would do as a student: specific orgs, clubs, clinics, what I uniquely offer the school, etc. I also visited the school (tour, sat with adcomm, and saw a class) so I reflect on that a bit. What do you think? Are there rules in this? Thanks!

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Does it look easy on the eyes? Was thinking around one page sounds about right. Will be interested to see what admissions experts say. Have you had a friend read it?

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27890 karma

Double space it. One page is something of a standard length, but it is okay to go over if you're going over with quality. I think the extra half page is particularly justified if you're committing to attend if admitted.

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Does it look easy on the eyes? Was thinking around one page sounds about right. Will be interested to see what admissions experts say. Have you had a friend read it?

My wife. I have a friends who's a 2L but he's kinda busy right now... I'm not sure who else to give it to. I was thinking of posting "LOCI Swap?" on here.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

I would recommend that you try to keep your LOCI to 1 page. Make sure you follow standard page formatting and make sure it is easy to read. Be mindful that the recipient is probably reading it on a screen and might be inclined to skim if faced with a dense text block. An effective LOCI should at a minimum say (1) how committed you would be to coming if admitted, (2) why you love the school in particular (programming, faculty, clinics, etc), and (3) what awesomeness you personally would contribute to the school. When the committee reviews your file again from the WL pool, they will look at the actual application again so try not to repeat information already available in other application materials. Good luck!

• LouislepauvreLouislepauvre Alum Member
    750 karma

Thanks Selene! Is single-spaced ok for standard page formatting?

@"selene.steelman" said:
    I would recommend that you try to keep your LOCI to 1 page. Make sure you follow standard page formatting and make sure it is easy to read. Be mindful that the recipient is probably reading it on a screen and might be inclined to skim if faced with a dense text block. An effective LOCI should at a minimum say (1) how committed you would be to coming if admitted, (2) why you love the school in particular (programming, faculty, clinics, etc), and (3) what awesomeness you personally would contribute to the school. When the committee reviews your file again from the WL pool, they will look at the actual application again so try not to repeat information already available in other application materials. Good luck!

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

Yes, single-spaced in the paragraph with a double space between paragraphs. The margins should be 1 inch all around.