162 PT, 173 BR -- help please!

Tori SheberTori Sheber Member
in General 77 karma

So I just scored a 162 on my last PT with a 173 after BR. I've known from the beginning that timing would be my main concern. I'm taking the June LSAT so I don't have the luxury of getting to study and review everything. Trying to figure out what to prioritize....

Im wondering if I should spend the next week going over CC, doing untimed drills, etc or focus on getting faster? If so, do you have any suggestions for study drills to get faster? I was thinking of taking an LR section and giving myself only 1 minute for each question. Or maybe trying to do confidence drills where I pick my first answer and move on without reviewing?

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• Adam HawksAdam Hawks Alum Member
    990 karma

How about you record yourself doing the prep-tests and then watch yourself taking the test. See where you're getting stuck. If you don't see anything wrong, get a tutor and have them help you out.

• Madssssss L.Madssssss L. Alum Member
    124 karma

I would work on mental clarity/ concentration in your everyday life as much as possible. I'd let yourself fly through the 1st 10 ques on LR feeling confident that your first instincts (as much as you hone them in) are right.

• metacognitionmachinemetacognitionmachine Alum Member
    47 karma

I have found so far that many of my wrong answers are when I second guess myself and change my answer.

• Trees are GoneTrees are Gone Alum Member
    192 karma

I was in same boat as you. I resolved the discrepancy by taking leap of faith; instead of solving all 24~26 questions, I took wild guesses on 4 questions a section. This allowed me to focus better on the rest, subsequently increasing my scores to upper 160s. Give it a try.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

@"Trees are Gone" Interesting. Do you at least read the stimulus and narrow those questions down to 2 or 3 answer choices or are they literally "wild" guesses as in.... DDDD. Also, do you do this on RC too?

• Trees are GoneTrees are Gone Alum Member
    edited April 2019 192 karma

@Regis_Phalange63
    I don't read the stimulus at all - I just go all C. The idea was to alleviate the stress, thereby getting more accuracy on the rest. And it worked for me.

On RC I make educated guess(es).

• ALEXAN.SALEXAN.S Alum Member
    108 karma

I’m in a similar situation, albeit with an extra month until the test.

For LR, I’ve started to do the basic translation drills in “the loophole” prep book, which is discussed in other threads—I tend to loose focus reading the stimulus and am hoping this will help. I also spend the most time on PT review with the questions I missed on both the timed test and the blind review.

For LG, just foolproof everything you touch. Don’t move on until you hit every question at less than the target time.

• Victoria.Victoria. Member
    553 karma

I would definitely stick to focusing on timed drills at this point, but work in exploring new strategies as you see fit. Just make sure the bulk of what you are doing is always timed. I had this same issue and if it's LR that's holding you back, you should try getting through the first 15 questions in 15 minutes and the first 20 at the 25 minute mark. The most important for me was 15 in 15 - it's ok if you go a little over at first, it just helps you become much more aware of the pace that works for you and allows you to get through the typically "easier" questions without overthinking them. If it's RC that's troubling you, I'd say pick up the LSAT Trainer and read the section to see if it helps you pin down a strategy that you can use consistently with each passage. And if it's LG, always take timed sections (not individual games) and foolproof them - I would do 2-3 a day when I found myself backsliding on LG progress.