How to decide. . . Anyone else struggle with making a choice & withdrawing admittance?

kpj744___kpj744___ Alum Member
edited May 2019 in Law School Admissions 231 karma

So I was blessed to be accepted to all but one school to where I applied (*I did NOT apply to any T14 schools). I was also incredibly blessed to get scholarship at them all (ranging from $5,000 to $40,000 / year). I am a non-traditional student with kids, (and a full-time job that I'm taking a sabbatical from for 1L), who would either stay local and attend a school barely in the 100s, so my family is not uprooted -- or I can go to a higher ranked school (50-70 range) where I'd also be happy living...but would have to hope my spouse can find a job, the kids aren't waitlisted on daycare/preschool, that we can find a home and sell ours, etc. etc. etc.

I'm struggling with my decision. Do I stay local at the University of Buffalo and not change my life drastically? The local school probably would work out the best financially, not only because the spouse could keep their job, but we would already have living, etc., figured out -- so I'm JUST looking at tuition/fees/books in that case. Or do I go to either higher / lower ranked schools both in NYS or New England where I would love to live (e.g., I'm from CT and always imagined my children growing up there) where I may not have as much scholarship (e.g., UConn offered the least) or maybe more scholarship but cost of living is higher?

If I stay local, I can continue my job post-1L (I am a professor). However, almost all my instruction is online classes, so I could technically go anywhere; I just have to put in one more year at my professor gig after taking the sabbatical for 1L. On sabbatical, my salary is cut in half, but I'm still paid (so there's that). I could also just quit completely, but that's not ideal because I carry the healt benefits, and well, half salary is better than no salary. If we move, we'd be going back to where I have friends / family, but is very HCOL ("gold coast" / Connecticut; Massachusetts). If I choose one of the highest offers (Albany), if I decided to go a political route that might be smart because that is our state capital. In terms of goals, I'm not looking Big Law. I'm already a professor so I don't care so much about T14 / academia. I'm more interested in children, immigration.

I should also mention I placed first deposits at all 8 schools I got good awards from because I was hoping to use them all as leverage. I just withdrew from two, knowing I probably wouldn't realistically go to them. However, I'm really struggling with the others. Two emails just came in asking for a confirmed enrollment form to be completed. These emails strongly suggested I withdraw from the other institutions, which I get, and they do not have 2nd deposits. Everywhere else does.

I'm very torn. And can I also say how hard it was to withdraw?? I just withdrew from MSU and Syracuse. Considering withdrawing from Case Western because they offered the least in comparison to total cost of attendance.

Thanks for tips / commiseration.

Comments

• drbrown2drbrown2 Alum Member
    2227 karma

@kpj744___
    Make sure to check with your schools about how much students are allowed to work in 2L 3L years during the semester. Obviously if you can handle the workload of online instruction and 2nd/3rd year law classes, you could keep your benefits and salary and all that. However, from my understanding at many ABA accredited schools students are only allowed to work like 15 hours per week max. On top of that, you would have to consider how balancing your responsibilities as a professor and as a student would impact your grades which have a big impact on your job search after graduation.

• kpj744___kpj744___ Alum Member
    edited May 2019 231 karma

@drbrown2 obviously all great points. I'll do that. What about if the job factor were removed? How does one really decide?

• Leah M BLeah M B Alum Member
    8392 karma

I think the amount of debt you're taking on plus the job prospects out of the schools are going to be huge factors. Have you figured out what your total COA is going to be for each of your top choices? And looked at employment statistics and found out if what you want to do is feasible from these?

A lot of folks that are in similar situations as you (mortgage, spouse, kids, etc) go to the closest school and there is no shame in that. That's a reasonable decision, especially if you can keep your debt super low and think you can come out the other side with a job.

• kpj744___kpj744___ Alum Member
    edited May 2019 231 karma

Thanks for that reminder @"Leah M B" I will admit to feeling some envy of all of you wonder stars going to places I can only dream of, so it's nice to have you remind me of the practicalities. I did draw it all up to see, and my local one is at the top - might only cost me $3800 a semester, because I don't have to worry about anything other than tuition/fees (not including books) since I do have the mortgage, etc. already factored into the budget overall. The others would require a move, out-of-state mostly, to HCOL areas compared to where I am now outside of Buffalo. The only upside to that is that I've had my heart set on moving back there at some point, just could never figure out how and this law school thing suddenly seems like a potential window -- I'm not sure that would ever happen if I go to UB and then try to move. But, I'd have to factor in my spouse needing a job and all the other fun things that come with a move with kids. So mentally, I know you're right, Leah , it's just hard to wrap my head around this and know I'm making the best decision for me.