Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I Write Addendum for Low LSAT score?

Hi guys!

So I was considering writing an addendum for my low LSAT scores. I ask if I should or not because I do not have a valid reason (for example a family loss or major negative life event) only that I am a horrible standardized test taker. Is it worth it to show that even my high school SAT scores were average to low and that I excelled immensely in college graduating with a 3.67 GPA and that I will equally do just as well in law school?

I am going to be taking the LSAT again (after deadlines) but I am trying to see if I can apply to this one school that has a late application deadline of June 15th that will allow me to start this September instead of waiting another year.

thanks!!!

Comments

• tomdesablatomdesabla Core Member
    54 karma

I don't know for sure, but if you're going to take it again, then I wouldn't write any addendum yet. What if you say you're a terrible standardized test taker, and then your second score goes up by 15-20 pts? Then that would just say you were unprepared for your first attempt.

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

I think in this case, I would not write one. "Average to low" doesn't really sound like you're a horrible standardized test taker, and while a 3.67 is a reasonably solid GPA I'm not sure that it's high enough to provide evidence that your test scores are not indicative of how you will perform. It would be helpful to know what your score actually was, how much you studied, etc.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

@MissChanandler, I'm voting with you on don't write one. Maybe find a tutor instead. Then it's pretty likely you'll improve and you won't be as worried.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

If you do not have a solid reason for your LSAT score, I would not draw attention to it with an addendum. Adcoms know that the LSAT is a difficult exam and most people have difficulty with. If you use the addendum to just state that you have weak standardized test taking skills, you run the chance of an admissions reader or faculty member on the adcom thinking you might be a bar exam risk since that is the ultimate standardized test for lawyers. Good luck!

• akats1027akats1027 Member
    37 karma

thank you all for your input!!! it is much appreciated!!!

• PreWorkoutPreWorkout Alum Member
    198 karma

personally spoke with an admissions rep from a Law School in Southern California and they said it is not recommended to write one if you are just going to state you're bad at standardized test.