Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Graduate Early or Slightly Higher GPA?

bennn LSATbennn LSAT Core Member
edited July 2019 in Law School Admissions 96 karma

I’m entering my final year of undergrad. I’m able to graduate in December (one semester early) with a 3.6x GPA and I’m taking a gap year to work full time and finish up on preparing for the LSAT (aiming for a 170+).

I’m currently taking 7Sage Ultimate+ and will be practice testing with blind review for at least the next 8-10 months (already been studying with PowerScore for one month). I’m working full time right now for the summer at an internship and will be in class during the school semester, so this timeline works for me. I will apply in September 2020 for law school to enter in Fall 2021.

If I graduate in December, I will have a high 3.6x GPA and then begin working full time and continuing to study for the LSAT.

However, I could also stay for the final semester and graduate in May. I would take easier courses and spend more time with my professors that will write my recommendation letters. By doing this I can achieve a low 3.7x GPA. I also find studying for the LSAT to be easier while in college than working full time (more free time to study for LSAT).

Is it worth graduating normally to get a low 3.7x GPA as opposed to graduating early with a high 3.6x to get into a T14 (assuming I get a 170+ on the LSAT)?

Thank you for your help!

Comments

• MissChanandlerMissChanandler Alum Member Sage
    3256 karma

At Columbia down for the T14, a 3.68 and a 3.72 are both below median but above the 25th percentile. I think that it will make no difference. Now, on the other hand, what if something goes poorly and your grades slip during that semester? Are you assuming that you will get all As this upcoming semester and the semester after that (if you chose to stay)? I'm not doubting your ability to do well, but sometimes crap happens in life or you get sick or any number of things can happen that would hurt your GPA. Do finances come into play for you? If you are using loans each semester and it's take out a loan vs. work, I would definitely work. If your expenses/school are free, then staying might make more sense. Either way, I would recommend visiting those professors during the fall semester to keep up your connections.

• bennn LSATbennn LSAT Core Member
    96 karma

@MissChanandler I’ve already finished my major, minor, and general education requirements but I’m required to stay for at least another semester (the Fall). This means that I’m just taking electives and easier classes with some professors I like (that will write my recommendation letters). I will also be taking one fewer class than normal so that I have more time to work and study for the LSAT.

I’m fairly confident I can manage As and A-s, maybe a B+ or two, but either way the GPA would increase. My GPA isn’t that high because of freshman year, but I’m on an upward trend. I don’t think I would fail or anything, barring an unforeseen disaster as you pointed out.