Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

My phone chat Q&A with a T14 admissions officer

MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member

Hi, I won't disclose which school I was talking to for the sake of their privacy. However, I will disclose the questions I asked in hopes it will benefit someone else.

The questions were asked and answered in the following order:

1. Does my resume make my application look competitive?
    A. We won't look at resumes and make that predetermination.

2. Would a high LSAT score offset a low GPA? (Mine was around a 3.5)
    A. It could - we look at the overall applicant, not just one factor.

3. Is there preference for veterans or disabled people?
    A. This could add to your diversity as an applicant.

4. What is the application process and how selective is "X clinic?"
    A. Each clinic has its own application process and each accepts a different number of students.

5. What are some Intellectual Property career paths graduates have taken?
    A. Graduates take a very diverse path.

6. Can an applicant take the LSAT too many times?
    A. The admissions officer laughed and suggested that more than 4 LSATs would reflect poorly, but did not give an affirmative yes or no. The officer did say it would not necessarily be a disadvantage to take the test many times but the success would be devalued after about 4+ attempts.

7. What do most students do in the summer?
    A. They do internships all over the world.

8. What traits make students at your school stand out?
    A. Dedication and being proactive in their education and in giving back to their school.

I hope this helps! All the best.

Comments

• villanellevillanelle Member
    23 karma

Can you clarify the resume question/answer? Do you mean the admissions officer said that they don't look at resumes at all?

• MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member
    976 karma

Yes thank you for pointing that out, I didn't write clearly.

I asked the admissions officer if they had looked at my resume prior to the phone call, and they responded no.

I see how this was very unclear, I apologize! Yes I am sure they do look at resumes in submitted applications when considering applicants for the law school but they would not look at mine or comment on it before I had submitted an official application.

• Like_SpikeLike_Spike Live Member
    edited July 2019 203 karma

Thanks for sharing this! Really interesting. The only thing I’d say (for other 7Sagers) is that their response to question #6 seems fairly dubious from their limited answer. If a 172 is “devalued” because it took 5 attempts to get it, but the school’s median is (say) 169 - or a 75th percentile of (say) 171 - and your GPA is of a similar competitive caliber, then that person’s chances/appeal almost certainly won’t be affected in any impactful manner (all else being equal).

The only instance where it could be devalued is if you’re being considered against other people with very similar numbers and application profile. Then maybe other 172s that scored that in one or two tries might look slightly more appealing at first blush (which is by no means clear that they are, in fact, once looking further into each applicant). But even in this instance it would have to be if you’re in their median range or below. If you’re above their 75th, then they won’t care about how many times it took each applicant with a 172 to attain that score (all else being equal). They’re either posturing/saving face to a prospective applicant, or their answer was far too context-independent. If I’m incorrect and neither is the case, then what that particular school is saying is they’re just resigned to not improving upon their ranking within the next couple cycles. Just my two cents.