Scored way higher on July exam - admissions dilemma

kaikdamekaikdame Core Member

Hello everyone,

I was burnt out and fluctuating before the July exam, averaging around 160. I've never scored higher than165. June was my first time taking the test and I scored 159.

But then I jumped 8 points on the July exam - scoring a 167. I can't tell you exactly what happened, but I got LG first (my favorite section), had better pacing on LR, stopped cramming a few days before, and felt no pressure (because I planned on retaking again in September).

My goal was to eventually reach 170. I was not dead set on this number but I felt like I was capable. My strongest section is LG, RC is a wash, and LR is my worst. Since the July exam, I've been drilling LR question types, trying out new approaches to LR, doing an RC passage a day, and warming up my studying time with old games. I also haven't taken any timed PTs, but after seeing my score yesterday, I decided to...and I got a 169 (I know this is only one data point but before I topped out at 164 so it means something to me).

With a 3.76 GPA and 167 LSAT score, I have more options than I thought. I'd like to apply to schools ranked between 14-30. I also don't want to pay full price, so a decent scholarship would nice. I'm aware of the medians at these schools and LST stats. When I was dreaming of that 170, I looked into UCLA, UT and Vanderbilt. There's still a lot more research to be done though.

I'm leaning towards studying for the September test (I already paid) and seeing if I can continue to score above a 167 on PTs. I'm someone who doesn't stop putting in effort until the task is really "done." Like I said, I really want scholarship $. But I'm also worried about any drop in my official scores. Yes, I know admissions only look at the highest, but I want to prove that this 167 wasn't complete luck. There's also that "what if" factor on test day of things you can't control.

Based on this novel...would you apply early decision with a 3.76 and 176 or keep studying, prove consistent 167+ PT score, and take a risk on September 21st?

Please help! I'm sorry this is long...but I really appreciate any honest answers. Thank you in advance

Comments

• Lolo1996Lolo1996 Member
    498 karma

That depends, do you think you can improve your score? Is it worth the investment? Would it be more worth it to work and put aside money for your degree? How difficult is studying for you?

You did get lucky on this exam, which is good for you, and I am happy for you!

Honestly, I would be VERY satisfied with that score lol, but that is just me. The universities I want to apply to take 160+.

I think you should think about it, weigh the pros and the cons (make a chart -- i do this, and it helps) and see if its worth it.

• kaikdamekaikdame Core Member
    77 karma

@Lolo1996 said:
    That depends, do you think you can improve your score? Is it worth the investment? Would it be more worth it to work and put aside money for your degree? How difficult is studying for you?

You did get lucky on this exam, which is good for you, and I am happy for you!

Honestly, I would be VERY satisfied with that score lol, but that is just me. The universities I want to apply to take 160+.

I think you should think about it, weigh the pros and the cons (make a chart -- i do this, and it helps) and see if its worth it.

Thank you for the additional considerations. I'll definitely try using a chart to get my thoughts on paper.

• Pride Only HurtsPride Only Hurts Alum Member
    2186 karma

I’d probably take that score as a blessing from the lord and apply 😂. Probably wouldn’t risk Sept unless you somehow are averaging above a 167 now.

77 karma

@"Pride Only Hurts" said:
    I’d probably take that score as a blessing from the lord and apply 😂. Probably wouldn’t risk Sept unless you somehow are averaging above a 167 now.

It definitely was a blessing haha. I feel like I owe to myself to see what happens in the next month and decide closer to the test day.

2186 karma

@kmeter said:

It definitely was a blessing haha. I feel like I owe to myself to see what happens in the next month and decide closer to the test day.

Good luck! Did you have the digital test by chance? Maybe the new format is better for you.

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

You are so lucky haha. I'd be thrilled if I even scored 2 pts below my PT average on the real thing. I can't even imagine scoring higher than my average.

• lsatgodjklsatgodjk Alum Member
    938 karma

Wow, that is awesome.

I think it's important to consider that many people plateau in the high 160s and it takes a while to break out of that plateau. I'm not saying you can't do it, but maybe time isn't on your side considering we are less than 9 days from September.

I'd take the 167 and apply ED.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    2689 karma

Take a look at your odds for applying ED and see what it says. Would 1 more point be better two months down the road, or would the score you have now do better if submitted early? You have to weigh this.
    Part of me is saying "Take it again!! Get one or two more points!" just like you are considering. But I am done. I have a good feeling about my score, and I don't know what the future holds. What if I don't improve, and now have to compete against a bunch more people who have similar or better scores? Nope. I'm just going to roll with it and see what happens. There's always November if early application is that disappointing.

77 karma

@kmeter said:

Good luck! Did you have the digital test by chance? Maybe the new format is better for you.

I had digital. I didn't love practicing on it, but I felt like I had more time on LR. Not worrying about incorrect bubbles relieved some stress and time anxiety!

77 karma

@AudaciousRed said:
    Take a look at your odds for applying ED and see what it says. Would 1 more point be better two months down the road, or would the score you have now do better if submitted early? You have to weigh this.
    Part of me is saying "Take it again!! Get one or two more points!" just like you are considering. But I am done. I have a good feeling about my score, and I don't know what the future holds. What if I don't improve, and now have to compete against a bunch more people who have similar or better scores? Nope. I'm just going to roll with it and see what happens. There's always November if early application is that disappointing.

Well, after doing my first PT since July and getting my first 169 I have more hope of improving...But definitely have all the ED deadlines written down too haha.

2186 karma

@kmeter said:
    I had digital. I didn't love practicing on it, but I felt like I had more time on LR. Not worrying about incorrect bubbles relieved some stress and time anxiety!

This makes me think you should definitely retake. Maybe all you needed was that extra time afforded to you! Also, even if you did score lower, schools will take your highest score. It probably doesn’t even matter much at all.