Tips to improve speed + concentration

dncdrc_04dncdrc_04 Alum Member
edited September 2019 in General 152 karma

Hi there!

I just took my first PT ever and I found it super mentally taxing. It was difficult to stay focused throughout the entire exam and I was always rushing for time T_T. My score was -6 RC, -4 LR, -5 LG and -8 for the last LR. By the time I reached section 4 I found it super hard to focus. Are there some tips that you can share with me to help me improve my speed and concentration?

Thanks!

Comments

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited September 2019 1866 karma

Hey! This test can definitely be mentally draining, but in your case I honestly think you just need some time to get used to this test.
    You can, of course, practice by drilling 2-3 sections back to back during the week, but PT-ing a couple of tests more will likely get you in the groove with this test either way. Also, I found that as I got better with questions the test felt less and less draining because I could just get through it more comfortably.
    For concentration specifically, I recommend meditation or some other activity that helps you feel calm. I used to (and mostly continue to) meditate once a day and to go for a 20-45 minute walk or a 2-3 mile run before PTs because it just helped get me in a "zone."

• dncdrc_04dncdrc_04 Alum Member
    152 karma

@"Habeas Porpoise" Thanks for the comment! For drilling, do you recommend reusing PTs I have already taken or new ones?

• Lolo1996Lolo1996 Member
    498 karma

Adderall?

LOL, im only kidding.

It will come with TIME! Do not worry. Took me an entire DAY (I mean, a sollid 10 hours) to get through my first PT.

Also, try a protein bar before your last section (I like grenade bars & one bars).

The more PTs you do, the better your focus/reading skills will become. So do not worry. Also, do not rush. Try practicing with 6 sections, per "PT". This way, when the actual test comes, there will be "less" to do.

Keep at it! And dont get discouraged :)

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited September 2019 2689 karma

I'm going to throw a weird suggestion to you, so bear with me. My attention wanders a lot. To say that I have a lot of browser windows open in my head at the same time is an understatement. That is my norm, so trying to shut all that down is difficult at times. I also do my best focus work (ie. detailed art) while listening to the tv, a movie, or music.

So in July, I went in with a way to keep my subconscious busy every time I found my mind wandering. Right before, I listened to some music, and during the test and in-between sections, I would play that music in the back of my head. No lyrics. Just music. (Hocus Pocus by Focus was my go to... Straight forward melody, energetic, and simple. Classical also works)
    Your mileage may vary, but I found that it helped me keep my focus by keeping my subconscious busy.
    Also, caffeinated Jelly Belly beans are the bomb during break. Definitely an energy pep without having to pee later! LoL

• ALEXAN.SALEXAN.S Alum Member
    108 karma

Hey, don’t stress, it’s your first PT! As others have said, speed and focus come with time; or, more specifically, comfort and confidence.
    Not to sound glib, but not giving a fuck (on PTs!) helped me a lot with timing on LR. Burn through those first 10-15 questions and skip anything remotely challenging. Too many words? Skip it. Don’t feel like finding the flaw? Skip it. Hate NA... If you’re pretty sure you got the answer, mark it and move on. Fuck it. As you do blind review, you will begin to see where your cavalier attitude paid off, and where you need to spend more time on certain question types.
    For LG, just fool proof. It works.

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited September 2019 1866 karma

@dncdrc_04 said:
    @"Habeas Porpoise" Thanks for the comment! For drilling, do you recommend reusing PTs I have already taken or new ones?

For drilling, I'd always stick with retakes (full PTs, or individuals sections or questions, whatever my focus is for that drill) and questions/sections from PTs 1-35. No need to burn through new tests!