Bombed my 1st PT after completion of Core Curriculum: Thoughts/Experiences?

D_man1071D_man1071 Member
in General 130 karma

I purchased the core curriculum roughly two months ago with the intention of completing it fairly quick-- within a month at most--- so I could begin running through practice tests with the help of JY's explanations. Unfortunately, I didn't achieve that goal. I didn't end up completing it until a couple weeks ago. But once it was done, I started having really negative thoughts. Particularly, I wasn't confident I truly retained much of the course and began regretting not taking practice tests sooner. As you would expect, I carried that negativity throughout the test and performed well below what I hoped. On the bright side however, after going through the BR process and watching JY's explanations, the CC really started to sink in. Now I am seeing the strategies, making quicker inferences, etc...confidently. I recently took an untimed PT so I could see everything with no pressure and my score increased from a 147-167. I am hoping to score a 165+ in NOV. What or your thoughts or experiences POST CC? I feeling optimistic going forward but feel free to crush my dreams if it seems overzealous.

Comments

• zacharytsmith26-1zacharytsmith26-1 Alum Member
    edited September 2019 849 karma

Nah you can do it. Have you got logic games down yet? Meaning 4 games in under 35 min. I would practice timed sections then go back do the games that give you trouble over and over. Also, you should take a timed practice test.

• 1234abcd-11234abcd-1 Member
    422 karma

My first PT I did shit, but your score will definitely increase. I would recommend starting with LG and perfecting all of the games based on repetition, and then working your way up to LR. My goal score is a 165 so I am in the exact same boat. I scored a 144 on the actual LSAT cold turkey (I know stupid decision) and am now scoring in the 151 range on my PTs. I will be taking my third PT tomorrow. But just remember to drill and practice. Also, there are other people in the same boat as you are so do not stress :) LETS GET THIS BREAD

• RosenkranzRosenkranz Alum Member
    105 karma

The core curriculum is a knowledge base. Taking the test is a skill. You must develop both. Wait a few times after taking your timed PT and then take it again, but practice skipping anything that you're not sure about. People talk about 20 (questions) in 20 (minutes). This gives time to go back and look at mistakes.

Don't expect this to happen fast.

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

You are being too mean to yourself. You are in a marathon, you just stumbled a few steps, and now you are beating yourself up over it. You are ok. Keep going.

• rlynnbuckrlynnbuck Alum Member
    8 karma

I am so happy I am not alone....

• D_man1071D_man1071 Member
    130 karma

@zacharytsmith26 My speed is killing me with logic games right now. I'm definitely making improvements though, I can tell I just need to keep fool-proofing so I pick up on the inferences faster. I am most confident that I can improve on LG within the time frame. As for taking a timed PT, I've been practicing timed sections then immediately doing BR the last two tests. It's been really building my confidence for a full PT because much of what I'm doing now is overthinking and not focusing. Honestly, I just need to learn how to relax when I'm timing myself and everything would be fine.

• D_man1071D_man1071 Member
    130 karma

@ebby_luna For sure! We are just getting started! Glad to hear you are making improvements though, that's encouraging. Get after it! & @rlynnbuck same goes to you!

• alexanderfuscaalexanderfusca Alum Member
    21 karma

Keep. At. It. I bombed my first test after going through the core curriculum with a 151. The core curriculum is exactly what its called...core curriculum. You need to consistently PT now and start understanding the rhythm and flow of the LSAT. Try to get the first game done in 5-6 minutes. Finish the first 15 LR in 15 minutes. Look for patterns. Blind review. Study your mistakes. Every LSAT question has been issued before in the past. They are all repeats of each other with different working. A necessary/sufficient flaw question on dinosaurs will have the same flaw as a necessary/sufficient question about a medical experiment. Whip out the PTs and get at it! Strive for accuracy first...then speed. It's like learning a language. Eventually it just clicks.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited October 2019 2689 karma

I took my first PT after the CC and almost rage quit on my laptop. Months of study for like a 2 point difference? Omg.
    But like everyone else says: The CC gives you tools. You have to practice and learn how to use those tools, and recognize where to use them and how to adapt them. Think of it like this: you got a crash course on drywall repair. You patched some little holes in practice and you know how the tools work and what the materials do. Then you come into a job where there's a big hole or an odd placement that makes it difficult. Without experience and practice, you won't be able to fix it. Practice and study and practice some more!
    I promise, it does get better. I wound up getting 12 points higher than my very first diagnostic and 10 points higher than my post CC Preptest. It's just time and practice, and there are no shortcuts to that.