Callling all Work-out-a-holics!

blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
in General 3545 karma
Now that we're a the 9 week mark, I'm really trying to hone my body to kill the June test. My diet is pretty much set but I'm trying to devise a workout schedule that requires the minimum amount of time to be healthy but maximizes my brain potential. I know for women HIIT intervals + strength training is supposed to be the magical solution for fat loss optimization but I am curious what other people's workout schedules look like and consist of. Please share your secrets :)

Comments

• nicole.hopkinsnicole.hopkins Inactive Sage Inactive ⭐
    7965 karma
    Lift heavy things as quickly as possible while maintaining proper form. This = HIIT + weights . Effective both for time and gains. #girlswholift
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    Go running in the AM? lol
  • blah170blahblah170blah Alum Inactive ⭐
    3545 karma
    @emli1000 have been! :D
  • emli1000emli1000 Alum Member Inactive ⭐
    3462 karma
    I'm going to start using my treadmill =/
  • MisterMagicMisterMagic Alum Member
    89 karma
    Looking forward to this; the responses here should be amusing... :)

I lost approx. 100lbs over the course of a few years, and won 3 USA Cycling time trial championships on my bicycle in the process and I'm a level 3 cycling coach. I box and I weight-train. Am I a fitness snob? Yeah. Sure. Whatever. I'm am to fitness what the 180 LSAT taker is to the LSAT, and with tons of respect for blah170blah and his contributions to this site, I'm somewhat curious what the thought process is here. Why do you want to tackle fitness as part of your LSAT prep? What is your current state of fitness? What do you hope to achieve?

I will say this, anywhere from 75-90% of it is your diet/hydration/sleep...
    edited April 2015 3545 karma
    Hey @christopherblair! First of all, thank you for your kind comments! (oh and to clarify, I am a "she"... I keep trying to change my avatar to a bright orange or blue but it keeps giving this dark green color).

ANYWAYS, the thought process is to create a large positive feedback loop that will spiral good behavior for life. I know a lot of people who have transformed physically better while studying for the LSAT because, in making their bodies healthier, they improve their minds. To be honest, I'm really jealous of those 180 super-models / buff guys floating around haha. My answer is really simple: I'm about to turn 25 years old and I want to be in the best mental and physical shape of my life. Working on part of the mental with my LSAT and now want to work on the physical. I'm by no means overweight but I've lacked the mental discipline for years to get to to where I want to be and just really want to just go ALL OUT for a great LSAT score and body for the new year :D

Oh, my current state of fitness is non-existent. Was running consistently 3-4 miles 3 or 4 times a week but ate abysmally. Now that I'm back home, I don't have to worry about eating terribly because my mom cooks really healthily.
  • WillJayKWillJayK Alum Member
    edited April 2015 163 karma
    I weigh 155 pounds and have to say that I am a big fan of crossfit, oly, and swimming. I am currently working for the amatuer lifting competition this fall while at the same time preparing for the lsat for this cycle.

With my goal of lifting heavier weights I have to say that it is not easy maintaining workloads between workout and LSAT prep. The amount of mental stamina is so limited and it feels like everyday is a new challenge for discovering the balance between those two things.

I used to do some high-intensity interval training(yeah, Crossfit at a local box which feels like my home away from home) 4-5 times a week but with the onset of LSAT preparation i try to avoid total annihilation that would affect my mental stamina. So i combined 2~3 sessions of strength training which do not render me into the stage of total burnout, making me better prepared for LSAT drill the next day. And I guess shifting your focus to skill-based training (such as gymnastics) is an excellent way to keep the balance between LSAT and workout while not letting go of precious gains.

All the best!
  • ddakjikingddakjiking Inactive ⭐
    2116 karma
    I would try to have less "cheat" days or meals and start to eat more healthy meals. For the FEB test, I started stress eating the prior two weeks and can say my diet could have been much cleaner.

I power lift so like @william.j.kwon said, I go light on full PT's and heavy if I'm just doing a couple sections. Haven't done any cardio yet....but I consider deadlifting 335# for more than 3 reps cardio.
  • AlexanderL0AlexanderL0 Alum Member
    239 karma
    What works best for my appetite and my busy schedule, which includes working out, eating, and class/ LSAT prep, is 16 hour fasting. It's good for burning fat during your workouts, and you don't need hours of intense cardio. At night, eat your last meal at 8:00 PM, then don't eat again until 12:00 PM the next day. During that 8 hour eating window, you should be eating healthy for best results, but a cheat meal isn't then end of the world because your body starves for the nutrients. Work out in the mornings because after sleeping, your body has already burned calories, then lifting weights forces it to burn fat.
    7965 karma
    @AlexanderL0 I also practice intermittent fasting and have for about 2 years—huge fan, simplified lifestyle.
  • MisterMagicMisterMagic Alum Member
    89 karma
    @blah170blah So sorry for the gender confusion! Misleading avatars and all...

Anyway, that's a really great choice/realization you're making about life in general. A bigger picture answer is always a better one. As my fitness level was also nonexistent when I began, I can say that it's really important to do something fun, and not to do too much too quickly. Pretty much any type of excercise will do; as you realize this is a change in lifestyle as opposed to a "goal" that you will attain. Many people fail because they don't realize the approach and all that it entails, including the journey having no "end" where you arrive and you're done. It also affects every aspect of your life, causing the occasional conflict but the overall effect being, perhaps, the most positive and profound one can experience. Your understanding of personal wellness as a whole also shows great insight, and I'd suggest you pursue your new area of self-improvement as such. I started with cycling for pretty random reasons, but it stuck. It's low/no-impact, which makes it easy to repeat daily and recover from quickly (especially at the entry-level), it gets you outside and covers a lot of ground, which stimulates the mind and other senses, and it is limitless in where you can expand/develop to keep it fresh. I've known people to become incredibly fit with swimming as well (which I hate). I lost lots of weight doing moderate weight/high rep training also (resistance cardio). I'd recommend starting slow, easing into whatever you chose to try.

Do your research on eating real food; if you'd like, I have some materials on that I can share with you that were written by my professional coaching team. The gist is to eat real food in more, smaller meals during the day. You can also do a lot with very very few carbs. You will develop mental sharpness and other tools that will prove beneficial in all things, including LSAT/law school etc.(your feedback loop...), but as for helping with the June test itself I'd just say that that is an experience unique to you. Don't let a new undertaking distract you! Major dietary changes and new physical workloads can significantly affect your overall energy levels as your body says "WTF is going on dude??" and sleep/mental focus etc. can be thrown off. Just be aware! Bike racers have rules about trying new things because it can cause problems.

I wish you the best with this! I can personally say its the best decision I ever made for my life.
    7965 karma
    @christopherblair "I can say that it's really important to do something fun, and not to do too much too quickly"

Word to this—workout burnout is very very real. Fun is good, and try to make it as convenient as possible. Going to a gym that's far away or having additional logistical complexity can provide good breeding ground for excuses (particularly as a beginner—once you've established the habit and it's well-integrated into your lifestyle, complexity can be managed).

I would also say ... a lot of people try to motivate themselves by spending a bunch of money on fees/classes/trainers/equipment/supplements/shoes/gear etc. I am all about investing in fitness equipment and have spent money on all of the above (except classes since my gyms always have them as part of the membership). Honesty, you can't force motivation on yourself by means of "putting your money where your mouth is." That's a great way to end up with a lot of like-new or never-used equipments/memberships/supps. Buying $150-$300+ worth of spinning gear (clip shoes, cycling socks, HRM alone will cost at least that much) does not mean you will go to spin class.

I've lost over 75lbs (with serious muscle gain—ain't no cardio queen here) and started from extremely poor diet and 100% sedentary lifestyle. Be kind to yourself, let yourself ramp up slowly; often better to start with 1-3 days a week as opposed to starting with 2-a-days and/or 6 days a week. Too much too fast --> burnout.
  • AlexanderL0AlexanderL0 Alum Member
    239 karma
    @nicole.hopkins Intermittent fasting really does the trick. With workouts in the morning fasted, your metabolism doesn't suffer. And all the cardio you really need is low intensity for 15 minutes along with high intensity weight training. Haven't experimented with any cross-fit along with intermittent fasting.
    7965 karma
    @AlexanderL0 I'm not a cross fitter but there is plenty of overlap. I do ketogenic paleo on top of IF and I lift after work (brain power is highest 6-8 am so that's when I do fasted blind review every morning ;) ).
    3545 karma
    You guys are UH-MAYYYYYY-ZINNNNGGGG. Thank you for the wonderful comments. I did IF yesterday and I was surprised at how much energy I had, even though I cut my calories by 1/3 ---who knew?? I've also been doing 30 minutes of cardio right when I wake up and, whether it's placebo effect or something's working, I feel great.
    7965 karma
    Yeah I am a big believer in IF! And ... wait for it ... bulletproof coffee :D
    edited April 2015 3545 karma
    @nicole.hopkins I've been a HUGE bulletproof + MCT oil fan + grass-fed butter fan. I miss the french press that I had in the Bay and now have to use a generic coffee maker but DAMN that is some GOOD coffee.
    7965 karma
    yaaaaasssssss
    7965 karma