Personal Statement Dilemma - Help!

I know your personal statement is supposed to be about you, but the moment that changed my career trajectory (and made me decide to go to law school) is entirely centered around something someone else did. I mentored students and taught civics classes through a nonprofit organization, and one student who spoke to the school board made me realize law/being a voice for others is what I wanted. He did it, but I was there when it happened, worked with him all semester, helped write his speech, etc. I also can talk about how from there I did other things (president of the nonprofit college chapter, joined a volunteer group, advocate locally for communities), but it's still technically something he did that would be the introductory "story". Any advice on if this is okay to write about?

Comments

• Kaylee HKaylee H Alum Member
    66 karma

I think that as long as you explained how and why what he did impacted you so strongly that the statement is about you.

• tbhmukhtartbhmukhtar Free Trial Member
    2 karma

I think someone else in your situation might NOT have decided they wanted to go to law school. If you think about what that event meant to you, what you came to understand as a result, and how your motivation has solidified in the wake of this catalytic event, you’ll probably be able to write a compelling statement