Underperformance

simplayyysimplayyy Alum Member
in General 59 karma

I was scoring an average of 167, 169. I got three scores above170 in the last month. Now I just scored a 162 and before that I had a 165. I'm taking the November test. To anyone who has experience with underperformance-- why do you think you underperformed? What do you think helped or made it worse?

Comments

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Honestly reading this is frightening to be able to dip that low from an average in the high 160s. Was every single PT under the same timed conditions? What about the PTs you were taking? Were they fairly recent?

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

@simplayyy Take three days off, reset, and come back to it. You will see a major difference. I will tell you that you taking time to write this post makes me think that the nerves and test anxiety is hitting you. This leads me to the conclusion that your underperformance is due to that. Could also be in addition to taking too many tests which are not spaced out enough by at least a day or two. Give you mind time to process what you learned and concrete the connections. Do not take another test until you're more relaxed. Your mind won't fire correctly if your testing under anxiety. I took about a week or two off, came back, and my last 7 tests have been above 172. Don't let the test control you to the point where you feel guilty for not testing or underperforming.

• I have experienced this. I came to the conclusion my underperformance was due to burn out and overstudying.

Here are my questions:
    1) Are you over-studying?
    2) Are you putting too much pressure on yourself?
    3) Are you setting your expectations too high?
    4) Are you hanging around people who are negative or who are depressed all the time?
    5) Are you experiencing burn out or noticing signs of burn out?
    6) Are you trying speed up too fast that you misread any of it?

My suggestion is take 1 day or 2 days off and come back to it with a fresh set of eyes.

• simplayyysimplayyy Alum Member
    59 karma

@lexxx745 said:
    Honestly reading this is frightening to be able to dip that low from an average in the high 160s. Was every single PT under the same timed conditions? What about the PTs you were taking? Were they fairly recent?

Hi lexxx745, No, they were not. I did PT 30-50s, and the some from 2019 and 2018. The 162 I got.. totally stunned, such an outlier. To be fair, I had to plug in my laptop during a section.And during another section, I got really distracted-- I remembered that I could practice with the stylus pen I got from testing (and cancelling) in September, and I couldn't stop thinking about that. So maybe I need to be more present

The 165-- that was the one and only test I took in bed, I was just too tired and lethargic to take it at my desk. My thinking at the time was, if I really know my shit, I should be able to get a good score from anywhere, because on test day, I will not be able to control my environment. You might be thinking, "Well if you're tired and lethargic, well duh, you will score badly". But here's the thing-- I've had those feelings, mental health burdens, stress in the past-- and still never dipped this low! I'm thinking maybe it's pre-test anxiety and/or the stress is cumulative and I was just ignoring it.

You all are helping me figure that the true reason(s) I under performed could be:
    - not staying present in the moment/ having distractions from one section follow you through the exam
    --sensitivities from testing environment
    -all or nothing thinking/ test anxiety/ placing my worth and confidence on the exam
    -cumulative stress in other areas of life

The question now is .. what factor is strongest? Hope this dialogue is helpful to someone else in the future.

59 karma

@DivineRaze said:
    @simplayyy Take three days off, reset, and come back to it. You will see a major difference. I will tell you that you taking time to write this post makes me think that the nerves and test anxiety is hitting you. This leads me to the conclusion that your underperformance is due to that. Could also be in addition to taking too many tests which are not spaced out enough by at least a day or two. Give you mind time to process what you learned and concrete the connections. Do not take another test until you're more relaxed. Your mind won't fire correctly if your testing under anxiety. I took about a week or two off, came back, and my last 7 tests have been above 172. Don't let the test control you to the point where you feel guilty for not testing or underperforming.

Totally agree. For the September exam, which I cancelled, I took two PT the week of the exam. The first I got a 173 and the second I got a 167. I could not stop freaking out that my score dropped like that, and fearing that I didn't actually know the material. That the LSAT knowledge was just leaking out of my ears. In retrospect, a 167 is a great score that I'm not sure I'll be able to achieve anymore! But like I said in another comment, I was seriously placing my value on this exam. (How does one not do that?). This time around, I'm actually not going to do another fresh test at all between now and November. Also gonna try to figure out how to not place my self-worth on whatever score I get.

Thanksand congrats on your progress!

59 karma

@"Atticus Kingsfield" said:
    I have experienced this. I came to the conclusion my underperformance was due to burn out and overstudying.

Here are my questions:
    1) Are you over-studying?
    2) Are you putting too much pressure on yourself?
    3) Are you setting your expectations too high?
    4) Are you hanging around people who are negative or who are depressed all the time?
    5) Are you experiencing burn out or noticing signs of burn out?
    6) Are you trying speed up too fast that you misread any of it?

My suggestion is take 1 day or 2 days off and come back to it with a fresh set of eyes.

I hypothesized that too and tried to pull the breaks a little bit. I'm not overstudying in terms of hours. But I am studying by repeating the questions that gave me a hard time-- which might be demotivating. DEFINITELY putting "too much" pressure on myself. I put "too much" in quotation marks because it's hard to know when you're doing something good by taking your studies seriously vs. hurting yourself. My expectations are very high, but I think I can meet them. I want to attend a T14. Not really hanging out around negative people, but my workplace is toxic. Burn out-- I might be! AndI definitely misread during the 162 exam. I think that's from lack of focus rather than trying to speed-read. Thanks, Atticus Kingsfield!!

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

@simplayyy Self-confidence is a major factor to this test. I understand completely what you're saying and i've been there more than once. The first mistake is taking two PT's the week of the test. This time around do like you said and try to ease off the closer you get to the test. The week of the test I took the entire week off testing completely for example. The day of the test I brought my iPad with me and did a few questions in LR, an easy RC and LG section via a test that I already had completed and understood very well. Whatever happens happens just go in there and do the best you can. When I personally spend too much time reviewing or when I get stuck on a question my flow gets thrown off and its a shit-show from there on out. The flow of which you work through this test really says something also, which is why people suggest skipping questions then coming back. What I do now is if I read the stimulus and it doesn't automatically click with me, I'll skip it and come back later. Trust your gut, you have the ability to get well above a 167. You really really really really really need to take a few days off all LSAT material and treat yourself to get yourself in the right mood again. Its like this : You get a good score you feel smart and you believe that you're smart since how else did you get that score right? But when you do worse due to external forces like lack of sleep, work or whatever the case, you feel like you're dumb. When that really isn't the case. If you take a few days off, come back, and hit the test again when you're not in a bad place you will see what you're really capable of. Trust in your abilities, you're smart and you're capable of doing anything, but you can't neglect yourself because of this test, it will be a downward spiral if it really gets a hold of you.

• maxbbarb7maxbbarb7 Alum Member
    182 karma

First of all, 165 definitely is not a bad score. However, I do understand your frustration. I think there is a lot of variability in every test, so a lower score can happen sometimes. Don't be so hard on yourself. If you've been in the 170's multiple times, you are clearly very good at the test. Just be confident and composed when you are taking your tests. Just keep taking your full time practice tests and reviewing diligently. I think you will be fine

59 karma

@DivineRaze said:
    @simplayyy Self-confidence is a major factor to this test. I understand completely what you're saying and i've been there more than once. The first mistake is taking two PT's the week of the test. This time around do like you said and try to ease off the closer you get to the test. The week of the test I took the entire week off testing completely for example. The day of the test I brought my iPad with me and did a few questions in LR, an easy RC and LG section via a test that I already had completed and understood very well. Whatever happens happens just go in there and do the best you can. When I personally spend too much time reviewing or when I get stuck on a question my flow gets thrown off and its a shit-show from there on out. The flow of which you work through this test really says something also, which is why people suggest skipping questions then coming back. What I do now is if I read the stimulus and it doesn't automatically click with me, I'll skip it and come back later. Trust your gut, you have the ability to get well above a 167. You really really really really really need to take a few days off all LSAT material and treat yourself to get yourself in the right mood again. Its like this : You get a good score you feel smart and you believe that you're smart since how else did you get that score right? But when you do worse due to external forces like lack of sleep, work or whatever the case, you feel like you're dumb. When that really isn't the case. If you take a few days off, come back, and hit the test again when you're not in a bad place you will see what you're really capable of. Trust in your abilities, you're smart and you're capable of doing anything, but you can't neglect yourself because of this test, it will be a downward spiral if it really gets a hold of you.

@maxbbarb7 said:
    First of all, 165 definitely is not a bad score. However, I do understand your frustration. I think there is a lot of variability in every test, so a lower score can happen sometimes. Don't be so hard on yourself. If you've been in the 170's multiple times, you are clearly very good at the test. Just be confident and composed when you are taking your tests. Just keep taking your full time practice tests and reviewing diligently. I think you will be fine

Thank you both! I really appreciate it!