LSAT Retakers - No More Study Material

For all LSAT retakers - if you have seen all PTs at one point or another - what is the best material to study with? Is going back to the PTs you have seen still worthwhile? I figured that I should at least focus on the last 20 or so PTs.

Is there other good prep test material out there with PTs that are comparable to actual LSATs? I'm just trying to get as much practice as possible! I haven't seen PT88 - but leaving this for a couple weeks before my actual exam date. Thanks in advance!!

Comments

• 2ndTimestheCharm2ndTimestheCharm Alum Member
    1810 karma

You may want to check out LSAT India. There are about 3 tests you can get for free.

• cooljon525-1-1cooljon525-1-1 Alum Member
    917 karma

I would retake the ones you took a while ago

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

@cooljon525 said:
    I would retake the ones you took a while ago

Yep I would keep log of the dates of the ones youve taken. And retake the ones that were the longest ago while still being a recent PT (if possible)

• Lolo1996Lolo1996 Member
    498 karma

Go back to your old tests. You’d be surprised by how little you remember, especially if you did them months ago.

There is also PTA, PTB, PTC, PTC2

Or “make your own” PT by isolating 50 random questions and 4 games and 4 RC passages

• ksuper1991ksuper1991 Member
    80 karma

Thank you everyone! I love how supportive this community is :) Taking all of your advice into account!!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Seconding. Retaking can help you learn more things.

• LSATLSAT-3LSATLSAT-3 Core Member
    edited November 2019 419 karma

Lolo1996 and others are right. It's remarkable how little most people (myself included) remember from PTs taken long ago, and how helpful those retakes can be despite remembering.

• michaelgaskellmichaelgaskell Free Trial Member
    8 karma

I feel like the test is so "regular" that seeing new material won't help unless you understand why you're missing questions. If you're missing questions, then you'll keep missing new questions. I use the same material repeatedly to understand the patterns that writers are using. Thoughts?

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

@ksuper1991 Hit the India tests, thats what i'm doing right now. I already took every single preptest from 20->88 more than twice, the India test is a fresh one.

80 karma

@DivineRaze agreed! Except Prep Test 1 on the India website seems SO awfully similar to the June 2007 sample PT... I am going to do India PTs 2 and 3!!

Retaking is definitely good, and I still miss some questions during retakes which means that I can still learn from them. Thanks everyone!

@michaelgaskell it's good to practice with questions you've seen to understand general patterns, but what I've found is that seeing the pattern in a new context always throws me off a smudge which is why I am constantly looking for new material. the new material simulates more what test day will look like and we should be striving to create those conditions as closely as possible! But I still think practicing with both types of material is good. Going over mistakes is key.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2019 3190 karma

@"Habeas Porpoise" got an amazing score with only retakes leading up to the last exam, so im sure they could offer some great advice

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    edited November 2019 1866 karma

@lexxx745 said:
    @"Habeas Porpoise" got an amazing score with only retakes leading up to the last exam, so im sure they could offer some great advice

Thanks for the shoutout! 😊

Yeah, I only had retakes left between my third and fourth takes, and they were incredibly valuable. I did a mix of drilling LR questions I'd missed before and retaking full-length exams. Some (maybe most?) questions/exams I was seeing again for the third or fourth time.

Like @michaelgaskell said, you can focus on the structure and patterns within retake questions. When I missed retake question again, it became clear that it was a question I needed to work on more intensively than I had the first time. A good grasp of the pattern meant that I could see beyond the subject matter and recognize that "new" questions were just the same old same old with different flavoring; it became even easier to focus on completing the task and to not get bogged down by the extra stuff LSAC adds to make their basic arsenal of questions seem new or difficult.

A big note though is to not put a lot of stock in your retake scores. They're a good general benchmark of relative progress, but are almost always inflated. Another tip is to up the challenge a bit by giving yourself 30-32 minutes/section instead of a full 35 minutes, just to compensate a tiny bit for having seen the exam before (especially with exams you've taken more recently).

80 karma

@"Habeas Porpoise" thanks for this great advice!

I'm actually doing my fourth take, too! I took a couple years off in between and I'm applying to law school this cycle. I'm retaking in a couple of weeks and going to take PTs in the 60s that I haven't seen in a while given your advice.

I also only saw PT81 on one of my actual test days so haven't seen it in like 2 years. Will take that one this week. Then, next week I'm going to crank out my last unseen PT - PT88 - in preparation for the actual exam on Nov 25.

I'm solid on LG, RC I always miss a few (but let's face it, RC has gotten harder and I'm willing to lose a few points there), so I really need to minimize my LR mistakes. I'm going to go back over all the LR questions I missed. I think that's a good strategy.

HUGE THANK YOU!!

• Habeas PorpoiseHabeas Porpoise Alum Member Sage
    1866 karma

@ksuper1991 said:
    @"Habeas Porpoise" thanks for this great advice!

I'm actually doing my fourth take, too! I took a couple years off in between and I'm applying to law school this cycle. I'm retaking in a couple of weeks and going to take PTs in the 60s that I haven't seen in a while given your advice.

I also only saw PT81 on one of my actual test days so haven't seen it in like 2 years. Will take that one this week. Then, next week I'm going to crank out my last unseen PT - PT88 - in preparation for the actual exam on Nov 25.

I'm solid on LG, RC I always miss a few (but let's face it, RC has gotten harder and I'm willing to lose a few points there), so I really need to minimize my LR mistakes. I'm going to go back over all the LR questions I missed. I think that's a good strategy.

HUGE THANK YOU!!

Of course! Good luck on November!!