Retaking the LSAT - should I apply or wait?

I'm in a bit of a quandary and was wondering if anyone has any advice.

I took the October LSAT and scored a 160. I was quite disappointed with that score because on my PTs I was getting 165-170. I think I just got really nervous and freaked myself out. So I am retaking in January and am confident I can score at least 2-3 points higher if not more.

The schools I'd like to apply to are #30-40 such as UF, UNC, Wake Forest etc. According the the predictor I have about a 50-60% chance of getting in with that LSAT and GPA. My LSAT falls slightly below the median. Should I wait to apply to those schools until I have a higher score or should I apply earlier with the score I have and take my chances? With the mid-January LSAT, the applications wouldn't get submitted until Feb.

Or, can I apply now with my score and then if I get rejected and/or waitlisted send in my higher score? Not sure how this works.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks.

Comments

• zacharytsmith26-1zacharytsmith26-1 Alum Member
    849 karma

I just did this exact scenario, I applied and I was hoping I could get in then take the Jan LSAT and get a higher score and use it for scholarship negotiation but every law school said they had to hold my application for the later score. A few of them called me and asked me if I wanted them to go ahead and review my file or wait. So, no matter what you do, most if not all are going to wait on the new score if you are registered to take another LSAT.