Consistently scoring at ~166 - Feeling like a failure

trashstudenttrashstudent Alum Member
in General 61 karma

Sages,

After raising my PTs from 149 to 166, I've plateaued! The last three PTs I've been scoring at 166 and need to improve more. I am usually going -0 in logic games and -7 in each of the other sections.

I've been taking PTs and looking what question types I've got incorrect and drilled with those. I'm also sleeping well, with a balanced diet and workout schedule. What are ways to get over this plateau?

Comments

• Lucas CarterLucas Carter Alum Member
    2798 karma

What is your blind review process like? Also, what is your BR score?

• umich101umich101 Alum Member
    364 karma

Definitely not a failure with 166 by any means! But I am in a similar boat, so I understand the frustration of not being able to crack 170.

Congrats on -0 LG btw

• trashstudenttrashstudent Alum Member
    61 karma

@"Lucas Carter"
    I will take the PT while circling the questions I think I've missed. I'll go back and the end and review the question to see if I'll change an answer. After I will review the questions I missed by trying to see if I can get the question correct on a 3rd try. Last, I review all questions to reinforce what I've learned from the PT. I'll focus on the lowest difficulty problem types I missed. For example: If I missed three 3 start PSA questions and everything else I missed were 4 star questions, I'll drill PSA questions.

• chicago234chicago234 Alum Member
    163 karma

why are you missing the LR questions that you miss? how's your timing?

• Luffys HatLuffys Hat Alum Member
    73 karma

If you don’t mind me asking, how long did it take for you to score around 166 from 149 in the PTs?

• snoozieqsnoozieq Member
    26 karma

Congrats on the massive score improvement thus far! It's no easy feat, that's for sure. I totally feel you though because I feel like I'm going through something similar. However, something that I've started recently (and by recently, I mean a couple days ago) is typing out on a Word doc all the LR questions that I missed (including the ones where I changed to the correct answer during BR) and also questions that I got correct but was not sure why the correct answer is correct. For each of these questions, I also type out a full length explanation of the reason I missed the question and the reason why each answer choice is incorrect or correct. I feel like before, I wasn't really internalizing why I missed any particular question. I'd think that I understood and move on, but I don't think I was really understanding the fundamental issues. I feel like I'm learning a lot through this new method, and I plan on printing these out and looking through them anytime I have spare time on my hands throughout the day. I don't know the results that this method will yield since I just started doing this a few days ago but I'm optimistic!

But if anyone has any tips on RC, I'm open ears. It used to be my best section but somehow I'm regressing (I used to get -3/-4 consistently but now I'll go anywhere from -7 to -9)?? Really frustrating and I don't know what else I can do besides reading copious amounts of Scientific American articles and forming low-res summaries for each paragraph.

• MelvinBuffettMelvinBuffett Alum Member
    31 karma

I was also consistently scoring around a 165 and then decided to take a month off of studying. When I came back, I drilled CC for a couple weeks and then started taking PTs again. I've been consistently scoring around 169-170 ever since. Maybe you just need a break?

• davesp1903davesp1903 Free Trial Member
    18 karma

Give “The Loophole in Logical Reasoning” by Ellen Cassidy a read if you haven’t already. LR and RC were my naturally strong sections, but that book augmented my performance and allowed me to keep my LR sections to -1 or -0.

• washindawashinda Alum Member
    50 karma

166 is solid, congrats on the improvement in score. Good luck in cracking 170

• Cant Get RightCant Get Right Yearly + Live Member Sage 🍌 7Sage Tutor
    27822 karma

@carbs234 said:
    why are you missing the LR questions that you miss? how's your timing?

This.

• trashstudenttrashstudent Alum Member
    61 karma

Thanks for all responses and sorry for the late reply. I was recovering from the Jan LSAT a few days ago. With my timing on LR, I finish with about 8 mins to go back and go over questions I am unsure of. I'm considering The Loophole book as I've heard good things about it.

@"Cant Get Right" reading some of your comments on "moving on" quickly when I'm stuck between two answer choices.

I'm going to study lightly for the next few weeks to until I find out my score for my last LSAT. I hope I cracked 170!