Feb 22nd 2020 LSAT - How should I study before the big day?

nopicklezplznopicklezplz Member
in General 32 karma

Hey folks,

I'll be taking the Feb 22nd LSAT which is just in a few days and I've been wondering how i should be preparing for it. I've been doing PT's for the past two months (3 a week) and despite seeing some improvement, there is still room to grow. Obviously, i'm not asking for a 'miracle' study guide. I'm more concerned with whether I should do one more PT before the exam or work on areas that need improvement through drilling.

After doing many PTs, i can tell my biggest obstacle is the RC section. Hands down, if it's possible to get better in the next couple of days through intensive RC drilling, that would boost my score by a couple of points minimum.

My question is: Do you recommend I doing one last PT, or drill questions/sections that need improvement? If you think the latter is the best option, what advice can you give me for getting better at the RC section in particular within a few days?

Thanks in advance!

James

Comments

• EagerestBeaverEagerestBeaver Alum Member
    703 karma

It is almost impossible to know if any studying over the next three days will improve your level. Say you do really well on the 22nd, will it be luck or something you do from now until then that made the difference? The only way to know would be to continue PTing to study the data for improvement. You won't do that if you do well on the real thing. The majority of advice that people give about the week before the exam is maybe, maybe do a few timed sections here or there, but the biggest use of your time is getting good sleep, maintaining your routines, and keeping yourself in a good mental space. The LSAT is not a cramming test. The skills you need to excel are built up over repetition and time. If you need to change your RC strategy, worry about that for a future test. For the next three days, stick to what you think works best for you.

• nopicklezplznopicklezplz Member
    32 karma

Thanks for being straight! I needed it.

• DanielMacTavishDanielMacTavish Alum Member
    161 karma

To be honest with you, I wouldn't stress about studying too much, especially RC. I am of the belief that RC is already the most difficult section to improve on, even in the long term. That is because RC is a culmination of your ability to break down very dense material over the course of your lifetime really, which is something that can't be changed overnight. I'm sure throughout your high school and collegiate career (depending on your major), you were not exposed to such material on a regular basis, if at all. So, my belief is that improving in the RC section of the LSAT is more of a long-term goal. Much more than say, LG, which can be improved upon relatively quickly if you are able to 1. Recognize the game type, and; 2. Set up your game board properly.

I don't say this to discourage you, so I apologize if that's how it comes across. Sounds like you put in a lot of work over the last 3 months preparing for this test, so I hope it pays off. I would just recommend as someone who has taken the digital test already and tried cramming that you don't follow suit. Relax, maybe do some LG, or brush up on some of the basic Lawgic from the CC, and go into the test with a clear and focused mind. I think that is a prerequisite to success on such a demanding test. Also, do NOT break routine (if you have one)! Carry on like any other day.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you do!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Lol honestly i would just do like 50 games over 2 days. It seems you can improve a lot there.

Unfortunatley for RC and LG youll prolly need more time

32 karma

@DanielMacTavish said:
    To be honest with you, I wouldn't stress about studying too much, especially RC. I am of the belief that RC is already the most difficult section to improve on, even in the long term. That is because RC is a culmination of your ability to break down very dense material over the course of your lifetime really, which is something that can't be changed overnight. I'm sure throughout your high school and collegiate career (depending on your major), you were not exposed to such material on a regular basis, if at all. So, my belief is that improving in the RC section of the LSAT is more of a long-term goal. Much more than say, LG, which can be improved upon relatively quickly if you are able to 1. Recognize the game type, and; 2. Set up your game board properly.

I don't say this to discourage you, so I apologize if that's how it comes across. Sounds like you put in a lot of work over the last 3 months preparing for this test, so I hope it pays off. I would just recommend as someone who has taken the digital test already and tried cramming that you don't follow suit. Relax, maybe do some LG, or brush up on some of the basic Lawgic from the CC, and go into the test with a clear and focused mind. I think that is a prerequisite to success on such a demanding test. Also, do NOT break routine (if you have one)! Carry on like any other day.

Best of luck to you and let us know how you do!

No, you didn't come across as discouraging. You're completely right, and i know that the RC section is considered that hardest to improve on. I guess i should have been a little clearer.. My issue is not with the material per se, but more with the strategy for getting the most out of it (active reading) through underlining, boxing, etc. etc.

My LG performance has been great. Only getting a -2 or -3 MAX because of stupid mistakes. Overall though i've been killing the LG section.

Will definitely take your advice about not cramming or stressing. At this point there's nothing more i can do to improve but review the material.

Thanks for the advice, and i'll let you know how it goes! (if i can remember to do that, that is) lol.

32 karma

@lexxx745 said:
    Lol honestly i would just do like 50 games over 2 days. It seems you can improve a lot there.

Unfortunatley for RC and LG youll prolly need more time

Haha sounds like a breeze, huh? I'm doing great on the LG section, though. Might do a couple to review game types, but i'm much more concerned with the RC section. The LR section is something i keep getting better at, slowly but surely. Just going to review and relax, so i can have a clear mind come exam day.

Thanks for the advice :)

• DivineRazeDivineRaze Alum Member
    550 karma

@nopicklezplz I found I do best on RC when : 1. I don't do RC for a while and 2. Understand the structure of the passage not necessarily every little detail. If I reach desperation and see that the passage is dense and I won't be able to absorb what I need, I will read very very slowly like elementary school speed. Its not preferable but if I go slow on the passage I fly through the questions. Good Luck on test day!

• Plays No GamesPlays No Games Alum Member
    33 karma

Im not sure if your familiar with the UFC but when prepping for fights a typical fighter has a training camp 6 months before the fight. The camps are super intense involving lots of sparring (practice fights) and drilling technique. The last week before the fight though, a fighter usually does very light cardio and extremely light drilling. This allows the fighters body to fully recover and “peak” before fight night. Heavyweight champion Stipe Miocic said he doesn’t do much of anything two weeks before the fight. He said something like “I just had a 6 month camp and I I’ve been fighting all my life. I know how to fight.” This is an approach you can take to the lsat. It sounds like you’ve been studying very hard these last months.3 pts a week is very taxing. Just let your body rest, and do a few practice questions as you see fit. No practice tests no vigorous work. Let your brain peak for fight night !