PT in the 20s - any opinions?

lemonade___lemonade___ Alum Member
in General 113 karma

Hey guys, I've been drilling timed sections for PTs in the 20s as I heard a lot of their games are useful. I noticed that I've been getting more questions incorrect in the LR sections (by a margin of 1/2 more than my usual score). This hasn't really affected my overall score of the test given the generous curves in the 20s, but I'm a little concerned about the trend I've been seeing. Somehow I find the newer LRs to be less challenging... all in all just a little disheartened. Any opinions on what you thought of the difficulty of LR / other sections in the 20s? Any specific ways you guys attacked them during review? Any insight would be appreciated!

Comments

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

What are your thoughts on LR from 1-20? I personally thought there was a significant difference between 1-20 and 20 onward in terms of LR.

• lemonade___lemonade___ Alum Member
    113 karma

@Regis_Phalange63 I didn't think the LRs from before the 20s were all that difficult, so I didn't pay much attention on them. What I do notice about the 20s is that there is a lot of formal logic, and a lot of questions in which the correct answer choices may appear very subtle / less apparent from a first read. No idea if this is true, it's just the way I felt :/ Formal logic didn't really do much to me, but the abstract language / subtle answer choices tripped me up quite a bit.

• MarkmarkMarkmark Alum Member
    976 karma

Interesting, I thought the newer LR questions were harder but in comparison to the 30's onwards. I don't have much experience in the 20's, but I know some of the questions and emphasis of difficulty have changed. The point of disagreement questions now require reading both arguments and the MSS questions look more like RC passages. For me I started going from -5 or -6 in the 30's and 40's to -10 on the 80's, it was a drastic difference for me.

113 karma

@Markmark I haven't done the 30s or the 80s yet, so I really don't have a clear picture of what they're like. I did hear that the 80s are very difficult. I've only touched on the 70s (out of the very recent tests). Scared to go on to the 80s :')

• 776 karma

I would personally say that the PTs from the 20s are good drilling material. However, the LSAT writers have gotten much better over time since the PT20 series in hiding their patterns.
    My goal would be to learn their patterns from PTs 20-40 (through drilling, etc.), do timed sections from PT 40-60, and do actual tests from PT 60+.

I do not think "difficulty" level increased on the LSAT... rather that they know their is a great deal of students out their who put their time into understanding the patterns/studying for the test. Hence, I think the writers are just doing a better job at hiding their stuff in LR.

• EddieMEddieM Alum Member
    279 karma

I have found that the frequency of formal logic questions characteristic of the 20s is NOT found in the 70s! (Haven't done the 80s yet so can't speak to that, but I've done lots between 20s and 40s and now am in 70s).

113 karma

@Trusttheprocess Thanks for your insight! Your breakdown of the use for PTs are really helpful. I also do not think the difficulty itself increased, maybe the 20s hit my weaknesses and the the more recent ones I've drilled happened not to. Still a lot to learn from each test for sure.

113 karma

@EddieM I agree! Formal logic seems to be heavily tested in the 20s. How have you tackled your review in the 20s? Did you find any specific aspects of the 20s useful for more recent tests?

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Lol honestly I think 1-20 for LR is the hardest LR, although I havent touched the 80s yet.

113 karma

@lexxx745 Lol I haven't done the 80s either, 20s made me sad. I really recommend you try PT 27 if you haven't already! All sections are super valuable (they are all p challenging haha), and the infamous snake/lizard game is there. RC in pt 27 has helped me learn a lot too.

• Regis_Phalange63Regis_Phalange63 Alum Member
    1058 karma

@lexxx745 said:
    Lol honestly I think 1-20 for LR is the hardest LR, although I havent touched the 80s yet.

Couldn't agree more. 30s is the best though, unrealistically too straightforward. 80s were okay-ish until I hit 84 85 86 :(

• EddieMEddieM Alum Member
    edited February 2020 279 karma

@givemethatcake I honestly can't mentally separate LR from the 20s from the 30s or even 40s right now. But in general, the main thing I gained from practice in those earlier LR sections was improved habits. Doing lots of early LR questions and sections allowed me to make certain core LR strategies second nature. So while I am having to make some adjustments now that I'm taking newer tests---altering my expectations about question type frequency, about where I'll find the toughest questions, and even about how difficult many wrong answer choices will be---I'm able to do so with a strong foundation of good habits.
    Tl;Dr: It was really helpful to get lots of practice.