Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

First 170+ PT!!

DaBears85DaBears85 Alum Member
in General 284 karma

Over 15 months after scoring a 139 diagnostic and over 4 months after getting my first 160+ I have finally crossed the biggest bridge. Feels so good to have put so much work into something so difficult and see the benefits...even though it's taken what feels like an eternity lol.

I know posts like this helped to encourage me before I even started studying so I thought I'd share my recent feat. If anyone wants any advice DM me as I'd be happy to provide some of the insight I've gained thus far.

Happy studying y'all!

Comments

• taschasptaschasp Alum Member Sage
    796 karma

That's some amazing progress. Congratulations and keep up the good work :)

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

Congratulations!

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

A rockstar score!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

Great Progress!

• miriaml7miriaml7 Live Member
    1016 karma

Congratulations on such great progress!

• lsat8709lsat8709 Member
    78 karma

Congratulations! What would you say are a couple things that were important in helping you jump from the 160s into the 170 territory?

• DaBears85DaBears85 Alum Member
    284 karma

@lsat8709 said:
    Congratulations! What would you say are a couple things that were important in helping you jump from the 160s into the 170 territory?

Two things:

1. Prephrase what the correct AC should look like before looking at the real ACs in both LR and RC.

2. Better timing strategy for LR. I'll explain. For example, let's say I approach question #20 and read the stimulus. After I prephrase, I read AC A and am at least 80% confident in it I will pick it and move on without looking at the other ACs. This saves me sooooooooo much time especially on parallel/parallel flaw allowing me to spend that time elsewhere and what I have found is a vast majority of the time I end up getting questions that I do this with correct. Obviously, this can be done with other ACs. Let's say I read A and B and am like nah that ain't it. Then I read C and love it. I'd move on without reading D and E.

Hope this helps!

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

@DaBears85 Congrats! And wow, the two things that you are doing and has moved you from the 160's to 170+ is exactly what has worked for me as well. I would expand this to say that doing this stratedgy means that when you look at answer choice A and it matches your pre phrase you select and move on. For people newer with this strategy it is okay to flag the question ( in case you have time to come back and review answer choices). I never thought I would have the time to come back and review questions but now I am finishing my first pass in about 25 minutes I find myself having time I never expect to have to then go back and work on harder questions and even some time to double check some that I was 90% sure on.

• LadyLawyerLadyLawyer Alum Member
    146 karma

That's amazing! congrats! This is hopefully what I like to accomplish as well and definitely very motivating. I'd like to ask you what your study plan was and how you progressed towards your goal of 170+? I am basically starting at the same spot as you (139) but I'm not sure what I need to do next in terms of drilling, blind review, go through LSAT study schedule and learn the modules.

• DaBears85DaBears85 Alum Member
    284 karma

@phancinanci said:
    That's amazing! congrats! This is hopefully what I like to accomplish as well and definitely very motivating. I'd like to ask you what your study plan was and how you progressed towards your goal of 170+? I am basically starting at the same spot as you (139) but I'm not sure what I need to do next in terms of drilling, blind review, go through LSAT study schedule and learn the modules.

My study plan has varied greatly because I am a college student with a seasonal job. However, what I will say is that the first thing you should focus on is fool proofing the games. Doing this should at least get you into the 150s.

Don't just take PT after PT after PT. I've been at this for 15 months and still have close to 30 fresh PTs left.

Lastly, each and every RC/LR question that you either got wrong or gave you trouble you need to do a reflection. You'll see this will benefit you greatly as you get into the 160s. Don't just say, "oh yeah that makes perfect sense idk how I got that one wrong." You need to reflect on why the AC you picked was attractive, why it was actually wrong, why the correct AC is correct, how you will approach a problem like this next time, and how you can better eliminate wrong ACs like this next time.

• legalstateofmindlegalstateofmind Alum Member
    101 karma

Congrats on breaking 170! I've been on low 160 for few months now and experiencing plateau in my score.. my biggest issue is with RC section (struggling with timing and I tend to be stuck at passages for too long if I don't have a good understanding of it at first read). What was your RC score improvement journey like? would really appreciate to hear your tips on improving RC specifically.

• lsat8709lsat8709 Member
    78 karma

@DaBears85 yes, that makes sense. Thanks for sharing!

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

Congratulations!!