Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AUWCL or STU

Hello!

I applied to law schools with a151 in my LSAT, 3.4 GPA, URM.
Obviously not the best but I decided to apply this cycle as it is the end of my gap year and because of other external factors.
I am interested in International Law which is why I applied to American as it's ranked #4 in IL.

I got into American with no money and I would have to move to D.C. Tuition itself would be $174,000 for 3 years.
American is my #1 because of the amazing international program but that cost...but I also would want to practice law in D.C.

I got into St. Thomas University and got $25,000 scholarship so it would come out around $65,000 for 3 years and live at home.
It is tempting only because I wouldn't have to take out as many loans.
My parents also wouldn't be able to help out with law school $ as they support my family + grandparents.

I would love to hear anyone's thoughts, input and/or what you would do in my position. Thank you and hope you're all staying safe!

Comments

• 99thPercentileOrDieTryin99thPercentileOrDieTryin Free Trial Member
    edited April 2020 652 karma

What kind of law are you looking to practice? American has good job placement in DC but...at sticker price? Bro, what are the odds you give it a year and bring up that LSAT? With some work, we could be talking a whole other story.

I think either of those schools will teach you to be a great attorney. If it were me, I’d choose the local, cheaper option: there’s no need to go into insurmountable debt for law school.

• rbrevillerbreville Member
    67 karma

I would say, You can sit for June LSAT and hopefully get a higher LSAT score and send a letter to American University letting them know that you have a higher LSAT score. With this pandemic, the schools have extended their enrollment for the year. So scholarship money may or may not be available after june.

• JDream2025JDream2025 Alum Member
    996 karma

I know it is exciting to get accepted but please retake the LSAT. That’s a lot of debt you’re talking about.

• 59 karma

@rbreville I've been thinking about sitting for the June LSAT because I know I could do better. My fear is that June LSAT will get cancelled as well. But we will see!

• 59 karma

@JDream2020 Haha it is nice being accepted but that 6 figure debt isn't so nice

• 1000001910000019 Alum Member
    3279 karma

Neither of those schools. Get your LSAT up and you'll be competitive for the top schools.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

I think you can try to get your LSAT up a bit in this day and age all that debt is p scary