PT33.S1.Q18-- the use of space-based satellites

DarklordDarklord Alum Member
edited April 2020 in Logical Reasoning 586 karma

help #help

Hi,

This question had really tricky answer choices. I was wondering:

1. How can A be the answer when the word "ignore," according to the dictionary definition and my past LSAT experience, means that the person intentionally disregarded the negative environmental effects of the satellites, and "fail to consider" (in the stimulus) doesn't seem to have this same meaning?

2. How can A be the answer when "tend to" means "most", and it seems like we don't have enough evidence to make that deduction? After all, C is wrong because "usually" means "most," so why doesn't this apply to A?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• dazedandconfused-1dazedandconfused-1 Member
    edited April 2020 258 karma

Hello,

I can try tackling your questions!

1. I think a key phrase to consider here in question choice A is "tend to" that comes right before "ignore". "tend to ignore" and "fail to consider" both signal an gap in the environmentalists' logic, and the phrase "tend to" indicate that the environmentalists didn't ignore intentionally; rather, it was more a byproduct of their subconscious.

2. I'm not sure if "tend to" means "most" in this case - "tend to" literally means having a tendency towards, which is more qualitative than quantitative (which is what "most" is). Since the question stem is asking for a principle, the stimulus in itself is enough evidence to deduce a principle.
      C is wrong because:
      conclusion of the stimulus = environmentalists fail to consider negative consequences = principle about people = A
      C = about technology =/= environmentalists

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have any questions!

• DarklordDarklord Alum Member
    586 karma

I will post a part 2 of what I found/think to make this discussion more complete