Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Foreign Undergrad CAS Evaluation

yan_nyclawyan_nyclaw Alum Member
edited April 2020 in Law School Admissions 42 karma

Hi guys. First, thanks to everyone here for building such a great and friendly community.

My undergrad degree is from Russia, CAS did evaluate it but didn't provide a GPA score. The only thing I see in their report is following:
Quality of academic record for this institution (according to AACRAO): Above Average
And they give a grade rating as B.

How do schools look at this? Do they convert it to a GPA score by themselves, like I would give it a score 3.0. Or they don't consider it and just look at LSAT. Is it an advantage or more disadvantage?

Thank you and may you all stay safe and healty!

Comments

• yan_nyclawyan_nyclaw Alum Member
    42 karma

Guys anyone who experienced the same, share the knowledge, please!

• sarahisksarahisk Member
    edited April 2020 272 karma

I'm currently completing undergrad in Japan and am wondering the same! I've gotten a lot of mixed advice regarding applying as an international student.
    While CAS does convert all international score assessments into a universal value (your Above Average B ) I have been told that schools put much more weight on LSATs for international applicants. This is apparently because schools can't know for certain how grading is conducted in foreign institutions since they vary so much from country to country and school to school.

• Selene SteelmanSelene Steelman Free Trial Member Admissions Consultant
    2037 karma

If you received an undergraduate degree from an institution outside the US or Canada, your grades will be evaluated by AACRAO and categorized as either Superior, Above Average, Average, etc. in the CAS Report. Admissions committees do not convert these categories into numerical GPAs or use them for reporting or ranking purposes. A copy of your official international transcript will also appear in the CAS Report so the admissions reader can see how you performed in individual classes. Your academic performance will be noted and it will factor into the holistic review of your application.