Logical Reasoning Flaw Questions - NEED ADVICE

hl2xjhl2xj Alum Member
in General 61 karma

Hey guys,

I need help with LR Flaw question in particular. Each LR Section, I miss on average 2-3 flaw questions and it is really hurting my score. I know that these are the quickest points you can make up for in LR since supposedly, once you see the patterns, "you can see them coming a mile away".

How do I get better at them? Is it just a matter of constantly seeing them over and over? I have made a problem set through 7Sage on just the Flaw questions PT 60+ and it generated about 240 Flaw questions. Just going down the list and reading all of them, will that help? I don't have much time. I have 3 weeks.

Appreciate you.

Comments

• 1058 karma

Something that helped me a lot was to go through each wrong answer choice and think about what the stimulus would have to say in order for it to have committed that flaw. You can learn a lot from wrong answer choices. In general, with all LR problems it helps if you can recognize patterns in wrong ACs. Like when a Necessary Assumption problem has a Sufficient Assumption AC. I recently worked through a flaw problem that was very clearly an equivocation flaw but one of the wrong ACs could have strengthened the argument. But it just wasn’t a flaw and so it was wrong.

• 362 karma

I had and sometimes have this same issue. What i found that helped me was seeing the many different flaws, they’re repetitive. Study how it’s written, meaning the premises and conclusion. On here it’s a list of different flaw questions, i think someone name keets has it. Something else that has helped me is focusing on the premises and conclusion and really figuring what it is saying, then weaken the support like doing a weaken question. Continue to drill as many as you can and you will start to see a lot of similarities. Also, Watch every video of every flaw that you do, regardless of if you got it right or wrong. That way you can get inside the mind of JY and really understand how to attack. I am still working on these questions and starting to see improvements. My tutor @BinghamtonDave also helps me with my drilling strategies as well.

• student of thoughtstudent of thought Alum Member
    101 karma

This was something I struggled with as well. Something at the was an AH-HA moment for me and helped me turn the corner in my studies was when I began reviewing all the common flaws everyday prior to attempting more questions. There are about 19-21 or so. JY has a section in the CC on them and you can also google common LSAT flaws. Once I memorized them I began doing the questions differently, I would ask which flaw was committed here before going into the AC's. I would usually be able to easily eliminate wrong AC's based on what flaw was committed and it was much easier to pinpoint the right answer. It also helped me to write out what flaw they were talking about in all the wrong AC. Memorizing the flaws was huge for me! Hope this helps.