Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Struggling to Improve/Close gap between PT and BR

ankovic989ankovic989 Member
in General 56 karma

Hello everyone -- I am new to 7Sage, so I apologize if this has been covered.

I have taken 15 practice tests. My most recent (today) was PT 73 and I scored a 160. My highest score is a 165 (PT 71). My diagnostic was a 153. My scores have pretty much been all over and I am really struggling to process this test emotionally at the moment. Some days I feel motivated and ready to kick it, but other days I am so disappointed by what feels like lack of progress.

I feel like I have the fundamentals down when I study, but when it comes to practice tests, I feel like I bomb it. Some tests, I do well on LR and poorly on RC. On 73, I did well on RC and did a horrible job on LR. It just seems inconsistent. Ironically, I score in the 170s when I BR. I know it is possible to get that on timed PTs as well, but I am struggling to get that.

Any advice on closing the gap between timed PTs and BR? I plan on restructuring my studying to focus on drilling question types I am particularly weak at.

Also, did anyone else notice a dip going into the 72+ tests?

I plan to take the test in July. Feeling a little bummed and worried that a 10+ point increase will not be possible. Thanks for any help, and apologies if this is a little pessimistic.

Comments

• PlatinumPlatinum Member
    363 karma

Hello,
    Since you already have a plan for reviewing the questions you are having issues with, have you tried hyper-skipping questions as you take practice tests? If you find that you have already read the stimulus once or twice and just can’t seem to answer the question confidently, mark it/flag it and move on, then come back to those questions as you finish the other questions that you are confident about. I find that this method can allow full attention and a method for attacking problem questions while saving time, brain power, and effort, ultimately possibly allowing a credited answer choice. Make sure you have a grasp over the conceptual vs the linguistic properties of the arguments and answer choices. For me the little details prevent small errors which cost points. Also, make sure you trust your training. Sounds like you know what you are doing, but making small errors. That happens to me when I second guess myself. Try trusting that you are making the correct moves. “Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.” I hope this post helps.

• ankovic989ankovic989 Member
    56 karma

@Leatherneck thanks for the advice! I definitely second guess myself more than I should. I have not tried hyper skipping. I have heard of it, but I have always been hesitant to try it. I think I am a little worried I will run out of time to come back to it especially if I have read it once or twice. I think I will try it on a few practice sections this week to see how it fares. thank you again!

• PlatinumPlatinum Member
    363 karma

ankovic989, you can do it! You are welcome.