Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

REJECTED 2020

emmorensemmorens Core Member

Hi all! This was my first time applying to Canadian Law Schools and I just received news that I was rejected from my dream school. This isn't my first rejection so I don't think it's going to happen for me in 2020. I just wanted to find out if it is normal (ish) to not get in on your first try? I'm feeling really embarrassed to let my friends and family know that I didn't get into any of the schools I applied to. Has this happened to anyone before?

Comments

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Don't give up hope. Is there an appeal process? Maybe you could transfer there in the future.

• PrettymareWLPrettymareWL Core Member
    16 karma

I am waitlisted at my top choice school and I am retaking the LSAT in 2 weeks to try to get off the WL and accepted!

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

dont feel embaressed. Its a journey. Look up and im sure things will work out! :)

• Confidence150Confidence150 Alum Member
    1417 karma

Don’t give up. Things will work out. I messaged you.

• Amrina96kAmrina96k Alum Member
    144 karma

I was literally on the same boat last year. I applied to a number of Canadian Law schools, and was rejected from every one of them. It was definitely a tough situation to be in and very discouraging. I even considered giving up on my dream of going to a Canadian law school. However, I took it as a learning experience and tried again this cycle, and luckily i received my first Canadian law school acceptance.

Don't give up hope and keep trying!
    Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions at all.

• AudaciousRedAudaciousRed Alum Member
    edited May 2020 2689 karma

It's not a "No." Just a "not yet." It's only a No if you give up ;)

I have heard anecdotes from Americans who have had this problem; they retook the lsat and reapplied the following cycle and did great. I skipped a cycle because I knew I didn't have a good enough score to get what I wanted. This cycle, I got one point away from my goal, and my outcome was great. If you want it, keep at it. It's only one cycle.

• H.al1997H.al1997 Member
    318 karma

I know how you feel, I got rejected from the Canadian schools I applied to as well :( I've heard its normal though.

@Amrina96k do you mind if I send you a message as well?

• MistaTee001MistaTee001 Member
    105 karma

Hello all, sorry to hear about your rejections. In 2018, I had applied to about six or seven Ontario Law Schools, I was immediately rejected from all of them except one, which I was waitlisted and then eventually rejected. However, I'm still at it and plugging away at the LSAT, getting closer to a much higher score each and every day!

Keep at it! In the end, most people won't remember that you got rejected the first time around, but they will remember that you succeeded and became a lawyer!

• TorontoSTorontoS Core Member
    13 karma

Don't feel bad - I was also rejected and waitlisted last year and while very disappointed I was not at all surprised because my LSAT was so bad. I did get feedback from Western or Queens and UofT and both said it was literally only my LSAT and that I could basically even reuse my application and references - so don't be afraid to reach out to the admissions offices for feedback. In my case, I did expect it would happen because of the LSAT, but there was a small amount of comfort in the confirmation that that was the only thing I really needed to improve, so here I am working towards that goal - sometimes what we have planned and work towards doesn't happen on our timelines, but I know in adapting and staying driven it will happen!
    (this has also been the case for a few people in my grad program where they were rejected from law school, went to grad school and are either going to reapply or have event changed goals).

Feel free to message me :smile:

**You also don't have to tell people you didn't get in - just tell them what you plan to do instead be it travel, work, grad school.... I haven't even told people I'm studying for the LSAT again (it takes some of the pressure off)

• Amrina96kAmrina96k Alum Member
    144 karma

@H_225432 said:

I know how you feel, I got rejected from the Canadian schools I applied to as well :( I've heard its normal though.

@Amrina96k do you mind if I send you a message as well?

Yes ofcourse, I'd be glad to help in any way I can.

• 110 karma

I'm applying for the 2021 cycle, what was your GPA and LSAT if you dont mind me asking?