Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

One rule that confuses me

I sometimes see a rule that says something like:

X does not play in the same match with K

J.Y then interprets this rule as X --- > /K

Where as I take this rule to mean the same as a bi-conditional.

can someone #help clear this up for me?

Comments

• 410 karma

It's basically just "If this is in, the other one can't be in with it in the same group" so the way I've always seen it is K-->/X, and contrapositively X->/K

• Jonathan WangJonathan Wang Yearly Sage
    6868 karma

It's a single conditional. The confusion likely stems from the fact that this kind of rule takes on biconditional properties in 2-group grouping games specifically, because "X is not in group 1" is exactly equivalent to "X is in group 2" when there are exactly two groups. But in any game with 3 groups or more, this is no longer true, and so you can derive the true nature of the rule from there.

In your example, if you have biconditional X <-> /K, that means two things: 1) when I see X, I kick out K, and 2) when I don't see K, I automatically put in an X. In two groups, this will end with one of them in each group, so that's no problem. But in three groups, that means that you'll end up with one K and two Xs (because you'll put K somewhere, and then in both of the other groups where you don't see K, you must put an X). Is that what you want?

• goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member
    320 karma

My understanding is, K --> /X = K or X or both have to be out whereas K <--> /X = one is always out and one is always in, they cannot both be out.

Like what @"Jonathan Wang" said above, K --> /X is de facto a biconditional in a 2-group situation where you have to be in one of the two groups (being out is not an option). Hope this helps!