Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Just scored first 170, how do I get faster?

L1__2020L1__2020 Alum Member
in General 43 karma

Hey everyone,

My studying began at the very end of last year. I just received my first 170, albeit with some extra time added on to the PT. When discussing speed, I've heard the maxim, "Slow is fast and fast is smooth" and am attempting to live by this motto. Within the speed zeitgeist, there is also the skipping strategies from Mike Ross and Can'tgetright, which are incredibly useful. For anyone else scoring within this range, could you provide either general principles or specific rules that help you gain speed without sacrificing accuracy? Alternatively, you can just affirm that speed is a function of practicing more frequently and I'll begrudgingly accept that.

Lastly, if you are in need of a study buddy, I am up for being asked "dumb" questions if I can ask foolish things in return. I plan on really considering this July Flex test (even with its drawbacks) with August as a hopeful take.

Thanks!

Comments

• lawgirl101lawgirl101 Alum Member
    38 karma

If you're trying to improve speed, then my recommendation is that in the LSAT 1.5 months studying, whenever you do practice, you do it under the correct timed conditions. Sounds like you have the accuracy down, now you need the speed down. And how did you get the accuracy down? Through drilling and practicing sections and questions. This is exactly what you have to do for speed as well. So I would recommend that you begin everyday of studying with at least one timed section (or timed test, game, set of questions etc), then correct it, analyze where you were slower/faster. And then do practice based on this analysis (do I need to just keep drilling speed b/c I made dumb mistakes-->more timed sections). Do I need to to more detailed/slower review because I don't understand my mistakes-->accuracy/untimed practice. Hope this helps!

• danielbrowning208danielbrowning208 Alum Member
    531 karma

Speed will definitely come with practice (there's really no way around this), and a good skipping strategy, like the ones you mentioned, will help you leverage your time efficiently. However, unless you are receiving testing accommodations from LSAC, do yourself a favor and don't give yourself extra time on PTs. Be honest with yourself on your PTs by creating an environment that mirrors test day. That way, you can set realistic expectations and know where you need to improve.

• lexxx745lexxx745 Alum Member Sage
    3190 karma

@danielbrowning208 said:
    Speed will definitely come with practice (there's really no way around this), and a good skipping strategy, like the ones you mentioned, will help you leverage your time efficiently. However, unless you are receiving testing accommodations from LSAC, do yourself a favor and don't give yourself extra time on PTs. Be honest with yourself on your PTs by creating an environment that mirrors test day. That way, you can set realistic expectations and know where you need to improve.

Agreed its not a 170 if u dont normally have accomodations

• Victoria.BordignonVictoria.Bordignon Alum Member
    61 karma

Start now to slowly shave off some time unless your accuracy suffers.
    Btw I am looking for a study buddy.

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8318 karma

*slow is smooth, smooth is fast.