Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advice on Rec Letter------Can I just use the generic one?

13053372111305337211 Member
edited June 2020 in Law School Admissions 28 karma

Hi friends: My undergrad institution decided to give an extended ddl for the law school fall entry. I thought it worth a shot. The problem is that I really had trouble with getting my rec letters, I am super super stressed out abt having to zoom with my professors and talk and negotiate. I do have two/three rec letters from previous school year that I got for some business ma degrees and I knew they're super generic but they're supposed to be talking good stuff about me.

My question is how much it would hurt if I just use the generic ones that may talk some random stuff like "quant skills". If I use them instead of seeking new ones, I believe I could use that energy/stress into getting my LSAT up for like 5 points. And after all i have no idea what my chances are as it's only one school and I haven't taken LSAT yet and I will only have one shot in July before the ddl.

Thanks so much for your advice!
(Edit: it’s a pretty decent school and it seems that it’s gonna be less competitive this round since it’s only for class of 20 here). I do realize that it’s better to get new ones, but I don’t have my ps ready and the deadline’s in a little more than a month, and I think it’s better if I send in the requests now. What should I provide in lieu of my ps?

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I think if you ask your professors to resubmit your old business school LORs it will be obvious (like you said, the letters mention business-specific relevant quant skills) and the adcom may think you're either too lazy to get a new rec or did not clarify to your professors what the letter is for. Either way, I think that would reflect poorly on you.

That being said, I'm not sure we can say "how much it would hurt." But I'm guessing if the school in question is accepting applications this late in the cycle, they aren't extremely competitive.

My question for you is why it would be "stressful" to ask for new LORs? You can just send over a copy of your personal statement and resume, explain your interest in law, and ask if they can adjust or rewrite the letters. If the deadline is in a month or so, I think that's enough time for most profs to write/rewrite a letter.

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

You may be able to just do all of it over email and then you wouldn't have to use Zoom. I'm sure many people would understand your interest in a different field. I agree that it's best to avoid a generic letter. Also, it sounds like there are multiple options for who might write letters.

• 13053372111305337211 Member
    28 karma

update: I got a "yes" in 10 min and the letter in two days for one of the letters. Guys don't be afraid to ask! !