Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

173, Thank You 7Sage!

open earsopen ears Member
in General 122 karma

I cannot thank you all enough for creating such a great platform and fostering an equally amazing online community. I don't have any extraordinary studying tips , but here are some small things I learned from my experience that may be useful for some people out there:

LG: July was my first LSAT, and though I was prepared, I underestimated my nerves. I was notably slower on LG, my first section, especially on the first game. If I were to do my studying over again I don't know how I would simulate the pressure, but I would really make sure I can do the easiest/easier games well under JY's recommended time consistently and had practiced making inferences upfront more exhaustively.

RC: I don't have much advice on RC. I didn't use JY's summary method nor do I read one comparative passage first then eliminate. I was always good at RC (-0 to -2 from the start) and found being very fast and then going back to flagged questions effective for me. For this method, I found being aggressive on tough questions by crossing out as many choices as possible, quickly moving on, then going back at the end to decide between two choices effective. I firmly believe the fact that I read a lot across a variety of disciplines was the main cause for my consistency.

LR: I wish I had practiced LR more effectively. In particular, I should have spent more time mastering PARA/PF questions using lawgic. I got them correct often enough, but I'd spend too much time on tougher ones, leading to less time for other difficult questions. My advice would be to almost foolproof them like logic games. One thing I did for these questions I haven't heard before is that I would replace the language in an answer choice with the language from the stimulus while reading the choices in my head to see if it fits the structure––worked well for easy-medium ones.

General:
- After taking the exam but before getting your results, set a realistic score in mind for what you would retake. For me, I said below 172 I retake, above I don't. This really helped with my mental state during the two weeks waiting for results and prevented me from entering a period of half-assed study while deciding if I wanted to retake it or cramming right before a retake.
- Personal study habits should inform how you study equally or even more so than general advice. Personally, I am prone to procrastination and enjoy working intensively, so I knew a shorter study period would be better for me (studied for a little under 3 months) than a longer timeline in which I could put off studying for days or weeks at a time. Also, I liked to do PTs two days in a row. I can offer more advice for people studying on a short timeline if anyone wants

Hope at least something I've said is helpful for at least one person out there! Happy to provide anymore info I can!

Comments

• Hopeful9812Hopeful9812 Member
    872 karma

Congratulations!! Thank you for these tips!!

• Juliet - Student ServiceJuliet - Student Service Member Administrator Student Services
    5740 karma

@"open ears" Congratulations!

• lastminlsatlastminlsat Member
    37 karma

what was your diagnostic?? this is so awesome, i think we have similar styles, how much did you study every day for the three months? do you think you had a big jump between the 2nd and 3rd month? THank you! Well done!!! Also PTs two days in a row -- did you blind review in between, or after the two?

• open earsopen ears Member
    122 karma

@lastminlsat

My diagnostic was a 159, mainly thanks to RC (-1).

When I was going through the CC (mid-April to early May), I probably studied 2-5 hours a day depending on how busy I was but also skipped the RC portion. Mid to late May I graduated and moved across the country, so I really only did an LG section every couple of days/foolproofing. I wish I had started PTing during this time but honestly I was scared because I didn't think I was ready and wanted to be "perfect" for misguided reasons.

June till test day was when I really hunkered down to study––probably did an LG and one or two LR sections almost everyday, except when I did PTs. Most weeks I did two PTs, maybe three one week. So I guess about 4-5 hours was my average the last month, but there were certainly a number of days I did nothing, only review, or a single section.

My first few PTs were 167-169, mainly because I didn't have LG down yet. To be frank, it kinda pissed me off because I knew I could do much better, so after a 167 I took a PT the next day and got a 172. I realized I wasn't going into the PTs with a game time attitude. By mid-June I was consistently in the 170s thanks to LG becoming my best section up there with RC (-0 to -2) and suddenly LR (sometimes -0/ -1 but more often -2/-4) became my worst. So I'd say my jump came with about a month left for studying then fairly stable.

As for blind review, I wasn't really that diligent with it aside from the LG sections. I'm not sure how much it would have helped if I had done it more consistently, but I certainly didn't feel that it harmed my studying at all.

Hope that helps!

• lastminlsatlastminlsat Member
    37 karma

@"open ears" very helpful, thank you so much. Congrats again!!!!