Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

any chance at all?

0utrider0utrider Free Trial Member

Hello,

I have a UGPA of 2.3 and I am an "old man" at 52 who was an idiot as a kid. I'd like to go to law school and I'm wondering if it is impossible or not. My gpa is as bad as it can be. Would a great LSAT get me in the game, and just what score would be required? Will a 165 do it? Or is it really too much to overcome? My last 90 hours are a 3.0 but there are so many bad grades from 30 years ago....
I went back to school and finished my BS in Business in 2019 with a 3.0, but there are so many terrible grades from the 80s and 90s. I'm finishing my MBA in October, so I won't get into the LSAT books without distraction from those classes until I graduate.

I'm hoping an addendum would help grant me forgiveness for my youthful errors. But I would like to know if I have an actual chance. I spoke with an admissions rep for a law school a few weeks ago. She didn't discourage me, but I could tell from her voice that it seemed like a low probability to her. I'd really appreciate the unvarnished truth.

Is it possible?

Thank you,

Mike

Comments

• chisal17chisal17 Alum Member
    289 karma

to answer your question, yes, you can get into a law school -- it just depends on which one you have in mind. If your UGPA is your LSAC GPA then I think it's safe to say that a 2.3 and a 165 LSAT will make it significantly unlikely that you'll get into a top 14. But, it could get you into a regional school or local school you may be interested in. All hope is not lost. Just make sure you know what your employment odds are when you are selecting a school!

• 0utrider0utrider Free Trial Member
    23 karma

thanks!

• Heinz DoofenshmirtzHeinz Doofenshmirtz Member
    481 karma

I've heard that the longer you've been out of law school, the less your GPA matters. If you get a great LSAT score and have a compelling reason to go to law school, it could definitely get you into a regional school! Obviously I'm not an admissions officer, just passing on what I've heard.

I think what you already did (talk to an official at the school) is a great idea and you could keep asking around to schools in the area or even the pre-law advising office at your current school. They would know way more of course :)

23 karma

I appreciate that. and that ugpa is not the lsac ugpa. its the normal one.

• teddybearteddybear Yearly Member
    8 karma

Of course you have a chance to get into a law school!
    I'm sure that the admissions officers will notice the upward trend, and, as previously stated in this thread, it all really depends on which schools you are looking to apply to and how heavily they weigh GPAs. Hold on to hope! I'm sure you will get into a great school that is right for you, and have an amazing time as a student there.

• OldLadyKOldLadyK Alum Member
    396 karma

Hey Mike! I'm going to be applying to law school as an older student as well, and would like to throw into the mix here that at 52 you have a wealth of wisdom and knowledge that you can bring to any law program. Since you have made a stronger showing with improved grades recently, I find it hard to believe they would place an enormous amount of value on grades from decades ago. If you can get superb letters of recommendation and knock your personal statement out of the park, I think a decent LSAT score would give you more opportunity than you realize. There's nothing to lose in applying, so go for it! Good luck and I wish you all the best on your journey!

• omw2_95th_percentileomw2_95th_percentile Core Member
    83 karma

Of course you can man! And a 165 will definitely give you a shot. Less than 10% or something close to that of ranked law schools have a median LSAT above 165. Considering all the experience and perspective you would add to the class there's no reason you can't make a strong case.

• omw2_95th_percentileomw2_95th_percentile Core Member
    83 karma

I just did the calculation because I didn't want to give you assumptive advice, of 198 schools (rank 1-149 and 3 unranked) that I have data on (either from this site or lawschooltransparency) less than 11% have median scores of 166 or better.

23 karma

I appreciate the research you did on this!