Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Timed vs BR help

in General 58 karma

Why when i take PTs, i score low 150s consistently, but when i do the blind review, i score 165+ on almost all of them? Personally i do not get to see around 20 questions because i am too slow to get to them all (at least 5/section), but i tried to speed up and my score tanked as a result. Any ideas of what i can do? Thanks guys

Comments

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    edited August 2020 456 karma

Without knowing exactly how much studying you've done, I recommend would try drilling smaller question sets to get your timing down a little better. Then try moving to timed sections and see if you can hold yourself to your time limits. I try to break a section down into 4 portions and keep myself roughly on track by completing ~25% of it during each ~9 minute section. This is what I did to improve my LG--I went from rushing to finish and 'soft'-skipping questions (i.e. narrowing down to 2 answer choices and just picking one & moving on) to having minutes left over at the end to check my choices. Another thing is to flag your questions on a sheet of scrap paper in a sort of ranked version. I.e. make 3 categories of questions you flag--questions that need a few answer choices double checked but you feel fairly good about, questions you think you could probably get with enough time, and then questions that seem awful/impossible. Maybe it'll help narrow down which questions you should return to with extra time/help you prioritize where to spend time during the test. I personally like to have ranked flagging.

These next ones I haven't done personally: Another option is to record yourself taking a practice section or full exam. This way you can see if there is are particular areas you struggle in. Another idea is to take a few practice sections where you skip any question that seems remotely time-consuming or tough (or if you know specific question types are your downfall, skip those questions as well). This is obviously easier to do for LR & not so easy to do for the others as its harder to skip questions if you don't skip the whole passage. After skipping, see how much time you are left with and try to return to the questions. Sorry I'm not more help and there's so many different tips, what works for one person might not work for another.