PT63.S3.Q26-- a recent poll showed

DarklordDarklord Alum Member
edited August 2020 in Logical Reasoning 586 karma

Hi,

Can anyone explain why the answer here is A and not E?
I have major trouble understanding why A is right when it doesn't seem to explain why the 52% of people who like the candidate continue to like the candidate-- it only talks about the people who don't like the candidate.
Likewise, E at least seems like it could apply to both groups of people since the people who liked the candidate believed the candidate's excuse while the people who didn't like the candidate may not listen to his excuse.

Any #help would be appreciated!
Thanks!

Admin Note: https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-63-section-3-question-26/

Comments

• SSBM1000SSBM1000 Member
    edited August 2020 614 karma

Hello,

A is correct because it says that almost all the people who believe that he is guilty of the ethics violations thought he was a poor mayor. In other words, almost all the people who supported him both before and after the accusations don't believe that he is guilty of them, thus their opinion has no reason to change and there is no reason for the percentage of people who support him to change.

E is wrong because we have no idea how many people saw his defense, nor how many people accepted it and rejected it. It requires us to assume too much to make it a solid answer choice, hence why it's wrong.

• DarklordDarklord Alum Member
    586 karma

Forgive me for not quite understanding @SSBM1000 , but how exactly can we assume anything about the people who supported the candidate from the information given in A about the people who believed the accusations?

• SSBM1000SSBM1000 Member
    614 karma

@Darklord said:
    Forgive me for not quite understanding @SSBM1000 , but how exactly can we assume anything about the people who supported the candidate from the information given in A about the people who believed the accusations?

No worries. You're right that we can't necessarily assume anything about them, but, based on answer choice A, we can conclude that the the vast majority of them don't believe he is guilty of ethics violations, which could explain why the percentage who thinks he's a good mayor didn't decrease, as we aren't given any reason to think their opinion would change except for the ethics violations. If you have any more questions, feel free to let me know and I'll do my best to address them.

• DarklordDarklord Alum Member
    586 karma

this works! thank you very much @SSBM1000!