Advice - Reschedule August test? Or just take it unprepared?

A.BilenkeyA.Bilenkey Member
in General 143 karma

This is a bit of a personal question but I wonder if anyone has any thoughts or has been in a similar situation.

My cold diagnostic LSAT test written end of May was 148 –my strongest to weakest sections were RC, LR, LG respectively. My goal score is anywhere in the low 160s. I have been studying with 7Sage since then and am about 80% through the course (just finishing LG but in need of some serious fool proofing time even after I finish). I have not done any timed section practices, or PTs as I was waiting until I was done with the CC.

I signed up for the August-Flex but now am reconsidering, as I really don't feel ready to write yet (not having finished the CC and haven't taken a PT since my diagnostic). I am wondering if I should:
1) Take the August-Flex anyways just to see how it goes and then if it goes poorly (under 160), register for the November test.
2) Request a coupon (which you can still do until August 21st), and re-schedule my test for November (I don't think I would reschedule for October as its only a month from the August date and if I'm rescheduling I may as well give myself a little extra time - I'm also doing full-time remote school in the fall and preparing my Law schools apps DUE in November).

Maybe I should take a day before the 21st to write a PT and see how I score to help make this decision? I had friends last summer who only took a month to three months for the LSAT and scored well enough for me, its making me feel like I should write it to get it over with? Or should I be patient and wait until I feel more ready? If I reschedule to November it could not be a flex anymore and no score preview but not sure if that is worth it?

Not sure if anyone's been in this situation. I feel like the 7Sage community is so helpful so it couldn't hurt to reach out.
Thank you for any thoughts!!

Comments

• RosenvibesRosenvibes Member
    64 karma

I think that with the Score Preview you cant go wrong.

I feel the same way.. I am not as strong as i would like to be for the August flex especially in LG (any tips to get better? fast?) If you dont do well it will at least be a practice simulation of the real thing.

my 0.2 Cents.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Never take the real test if you aren't ready and have never taken a PT. In my opinion you should have a handful of PTs with your goal score (low 160s) under your belt before you ever sit for the real test.

If you are just looking to score in the low 160s, received a 148 on your diagnostic, and your worst section is LG, I think you'd possibly be in good shape to be ready by October because LG is the easiest section to improve. But I agree that if you're going to reschedule might as well give yourself more time and shoot for November

• canadianlawgirlcanadianlawgirl Core Member
    6 karma

Hey, I'm also in a similar situation as you.

I took 3 PT's so far and I've been scoring 141-144 which is no where near my goal. I'm thinking about switching to the October LSAT because I don't want to be discouraged with my score :(

• 769 karma

What is requesting a coupon? I am also thinking about rescheduling so I wasn't sure if there was any way you could change your date or anything without having to just withdraw and reregister

• jIbookerjIbooker Alum Member
    152 karma

tough question. some things to consider would be how much time can you dedicate to fool proofing logic games before the test? Another question would be, are you fine with using the score preview option on a test you are not completely confident you are ready for? October is definitely not to late to take the test. I think, if I were in your shoes, I would switch the test to the October date. Get some more time to finish the core curriculum and master logic games. Than you would have both the score preview option for October, and if you don't score where you want to be, you'll have another shot in November for this cycle to take the test.

Good luck!

• FloridaManFloridaMan Core Member
    139 karma

I was in a similar position to you, except even worse. I had read the Logic Games Bible and done a few practice sets of LR and RC only (no practice tests) before taking the September 2019 exam. I got a 146 and I felt stupid for taking it unprepared. Now I am PTing in the 160s after finishing the CC and taking practice tests. I would recommend taking at least a few practice tests if you can do so, as doing so allows you to build up stamina as well as change your thought processes in the BR.

• KirstenKirsten Alum Member
    82 karma

I'm in a similar situation! I'm PTing in the low to mid150s right now and am trying to get to 160+ for August. I've been super frustrated because I feel like I do well on practice sets but when I go for the full flex practice tests SOMETHING happens and I don't score as high as I felt like I should. I'm almost done reading Loophole for LR and have started to focus on my weak spots in RC and LG to see if I can get my score up. I am going to take another PT soon and if I'm not happy with the score, I am more than likely going to sign up for October. I don't think I have the option to get my money back for my August test since this is my second attempt, so I will more than likely sit for August.

• FindingSageFindingSage Alum Member
    2042 karma

I have personal experience with this. I have never really studied for any exam and for this test started with Khan academy. I found 7 Sage a few weeks before the test I had signed up for. I figured that understood the lessons and they only “count” the highest score anyway. I had never taken an actual prep test under time pressure. What a disaster!! I didn’t even finish the first section and was a nervous wreck the entire test of the test. I had no strategy and reflecting on it now basically guessed and POE on questions. What did it hurt? When I got the test results and saw how horrible I did I became a very under confident and very nervous test taker. If there was any timing at all I panicked. I developed extreme anxiety and depression that took me a long time to work through. Even as I got better at the test I had stopped believing in myself.
    It has been about two years of studying and I am a totally different test taker. Wait until you are scoring in the range you want to score and then sign up.

• marylandterpmarylandterp Member
    29 karma

I suggest you take a PT as soon as you can to see how you've improved. If it's only a few points from your target goal, then you can just try to practice until the actual August exam and maybe you'll hit your target. If you're ~10 points short or more, I'd recommend registering pushing your test back but also taking a lot of PTs and timed sections in the mean time. The CC only goes so far if you're not reinforcing the material with actual exams.

• 19 karma

before doing anything, I would recommend taking a PT to see how much you've retained from studying the lessons. If you like where you are, great. If not, push back! Honestly it really just depends on your own personal goals.

Also, even though you can score preview and cancel, do you really want to go through all the stress if your score isn't where you want it? I would personally just rather wait and take it once knowing I'd be more prepared. but thats just me!

• alorence119alorence119 Member
    35 karma

Is there a stipulation for how many times you can ask for a coupon? Pandemic has been rough on my motivation so I did this in July. I am feeling really good but not good enough for August. Let me know if anyone has insight.

• ConstantineConstantine Member
    edited August 2020 1320 karma

My advice is to reschedule at least for November but even better for March.

• aa4567890aa4567890 Member
    73 karma

See if you can get score preview and try to take 5 PT if you can before the test. Since you can cancel with preview, I’d say it’s still worth it.
    You can still improve your score in the time left and/or get lucky on test day and do well. Since you can cancel with no consequences with preview, it seems worth it.

• neesh.esqneesh.esq Alum Member
    32 karma

Please don't rush yourself.. take your time. It's better to spend the extra few months preparing for the test/ potentially getting a great score + scholarship.

This test isn't cheap. Save your money and take the test at a later time when you can kill it!

Best of luck!!

2042 karma

I wanted to add the 148 is a fine diagnostic score. With time and hard work you can score much higher, even beyond the 160’s. You mention that low 160’s would be fine so I am not sure what school or schools you are looking at but getting a better score can only help you. Even if you score well enough to be accepted unless you are independently wealthy or parents are paying for law school I would encourage you to try to score well enough to get at least a partial scholarship. Without it even a regional law school combined with living expenses can add up to about a half a million dollars- and no matter where you get a job at that is major debt. When I first started studying I thought I would just go to a regional law school probably part time, but the more I learned about not only the test but also the financial aspect the more realized that this isn’t a test you should try to get over with. This test counted for more than your GPA- 4 years of school and doing well on it can literally change your life. I see the appeal with the score preview in August but this might be offered again. Don’t rush and take the test before you are ready.

• 476 karma

I second @FindingSage. I was also in the same boat and chose to take the test. I convinced myself that I had to go to law school at a certain time and this decision pressured me to take way earlier than I was ready for.

The score preview is appealing but the previous tests are a great estimator for how you will score as well.

• A.BilenkeyA.Bilenkey Member
    143 karma

@FindingSage said:
    I wanted to add the 148 is a fine diagnostic score. With time and hard work you can score much higher, even beyond the 160’s. You mention that low 160’s would be fine so I am not sure what school or schools you are looking at but getting a better score can only help you. Even if you score well enough to be accepted unless you are independently wealthy or parents are paying for law school I would encourage you to try to score well enough to get at least a partial scholarship. Without it even a regional law school combined with living expenses can add up to about a half a million dollars- and no matter where you get a job at that is major debt. When I first started studying I thought I would just go to a regional law school probably part time, but the more I learned about not only the test but also the financial aspect the more realized that this isn’t a test you should try to get over with. This test counted for more than your GPA- 4 years of school and doing well on it can literally change your life. I see the appeal with the score preview in August but this might be offered again. Don’t rush and take the test before you are ready.

I appreciate the sentiment for sure! Just to give a little background on me, I am Canadian and the LSAT doesn't seem to count for as much here I've found. It also doesn't affect your chances of a scholarship like it does in the US (there are not many here). I've been fortunate enough to finish my undergrad with no debt due to a scholarship I earned, and I have a financial plan for what Canadian law schools are (~$20,000 tuition a year). My top choice law schools in Canada (due to program specializations, clinics, family proximity etc) have a ~156 - 163 range in their median LSAT scores so I don't see the need to push back my education by a year if that score is possible sooner. I think if I lived in the US it would be a whole other ball game. Thank you for your thoughtful comments and wish you the best of luck! :)

• A.BilenkeyA.Bilenkey Member
    143 karma

Thank you everyone for your helpful comments! I am so grateful to the 7Sage community for this forum and supportive attitudes!
    If anyone was wondering on an update, I took a PT and scored ~5 points bellow my target score. I think I am going to push to October as I realized November will be almost the end of the semester for me which is maybe not a recipe for success. Hopefully in the next 6 weeks I can finish the curriculum, do some PTs and do well enough on the test for October. October will also be a flex so that is a bonus, and even with no score preview that's not a huge stress for me as the schools I'm applying for take your highest and not an average. If it doesn't go well-enough I can always last ditch write November. Thanks again everyone! Really appreciate the advice and validation.

• Jon SawyerJon Sawyer Core Member
    edited August 2020 7 karma

I am in a very similar boat. After some agonizing over the decision, I decided today to push it back. I'm finishing an MA this year and working: life is about to get very busy, and I wanted to knock the LSAT out in August. But, I'm simply not ready - and that's okay. I have even given myself permission to push back my law school application to Fall '22. That's not ideal, but if I'm not ready, I'm not ready. I used to be a classical musician, and for me it's a bit akin to walking on stage and performing a three movement piece knowing that you can only really nail one movement. For me, that's a bit of a nightmare scenario. I'd rather walk into the exam after much practice, and with confidence, rather than crossing my fingers and hoping.

Best of luck to you on your preparation.

• I would recommend you not sit.

Do at least 2-3 LGs per day.
    Foolproof them. So you should be doing LGs at least 6-8 times most days

practice with sections, refer back to CC and most of all. Make sure you LOGIC and ADVANCED LOGIC are tight.

Advanced logic is one lesson a lot of people do not get to for some reason. It helps in LG and LR..A LOT!!

2042 karma

@"A.Bilenkey" said:

@FindingSage said:

I appreciate the sentiment for sure! Just to give a little background on me, I am Canadian and the LSAT doesn't seem to count for as much here I've found. It also doesn't affect your chances of a scholarship like it does in the US (there are not many here). I've been fortunate enough to finish my undergrad with no debt due to a scholarship I earned, and I have a financial plan for what Canadian law schools are (~$20,000 tuition a year). My top choice law schools in Canada (due to program specializations, clinics, family proximity etc) have a ~156 - 163 range in their median LSAT scores so I don't see the need to push back my education by a year if that score is possible sooner. I think if I lived in the US it would be a whole other ball game. Thank you for your thoughtful comments and wish you the best of luck! :)

You are very lucky to have finished under grad debt fee as well as the fact that Canadian law schools are much more reasonably priced for sure. I have known several people from Canada who have either completed the LSAT or I have studied with. What I was told was to make sure that you aren't considering going to Law school in the US but as long as you are staying in Canada to try to score as close as you can to the top of the median for the best chance at admittance.

Even knowing your circumstances I think you should consider postponing. You can try to take a PT and see where you are at score wise but I think you will be in a much better place in October/November after finishing the CC and also taking some PT's. Best of luck to you as well!

• bodegaboybodegaboy Core Member
    6 karma

I'm going to go against most of the comments here and say just to take it. If you're financially able, I think it would be somewhat beneficial to sit in so you can experience firsthand the nerves and the whole process. That way for the October/November test, you know exactly what to expect. With the score preview option, you can pretend this is like a PT run, albeit an expensive one lol. Either way, best of luck!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I'm glad you decided to postpone. I think that was a wise choice. If you aren't ready you aren't ready. You can finish the curriculum and do a couple of PTs each week and set yourself up much better.