Hotel/Airbnb for Flex?

sgd968413sgd968413 Member
in General 15 karma

Hi everyone,

I'm taking the August Flex and don't exactly have a private/quiet place to study in my house due to COVID. (I'd have to ask my roommates to leave for a few hours and we're on a busy street with frequent sirens and dirt bikes.) Has anyone taken the Flex exam from a hotel or Airbnb? If so, was it worth it? It seems like a great option for privacy, but I'm a bit worried about WiFi services being out of my control in case I encounter any technological issues during the test. I'd love any insight/affirmation anyone may offer!

Thanks in advance,
S

Comments

• 769 karma

LSAC will try to find you a place to test if you don’t have one available. It does say you accept the risk of getting Covid so It might be in a place with other people. That sounds like a good idea though

• broadh22broadh22 Alum Member
    20 karma

I thought about doing the same thing but I was able to convince my husband to take the kids somewhere overnight instead. I was worried about dealing with checkout times and such since I had heard some people weren't starting their test until hours later due to technical and proctor issues. So if you do go the airbnb/hotel route, just make sure you give yourself plenty of time so that you don't have to worry about checking out on the same day as the test. Also, we use AirBnB a lot and I have never had any issues with WiFi connection if it was something advertised. Definitely check the reviews first to make sure it is not something other people had issues with there. The other thing to think about with AirBnB is they might not have a good set-up for taking a test (desk, chair, pencil sharpener?) or you might get other distractions that you weren't expecting... Good luck!

• btbenboybtbenboy Free Trial Member
    10 karma

In the email LSAC sent out it said that you can wear ear plugs. Seems like a better idea than shelling out $100+ in order to take a $200 test.

• sgd968413sgd968413 Member
    15 karma

Thanks, all, for your input! I flagged this issue for LSAC when I registered, so they gave me a $125 voucher for a hotel or Airbnb, hence my consideration of the option.

@broadh22 said:
    I thought about doing the same thing but I was able to convince my husband to take the kids somewhere overnight instead. I was worried about dealing with checkout times and such since I had heard some people weren't starting their test until hours later due to technical and proctor issues. So if you do go the airbnb/hotel route, just make sure you give yourself plenty of time so that you don't have to worry about checking out on the same day as the test. Also, we use AirBnB a lot and I have never had any issues with WiFi connection if it was something advertised. Definitely check the reviews first to make sure it is not something other people had issues with there. The other thing to think about with AirBnB is they might not have a good set-up for taking a test (desk, chair, pencil sharpener?) or you might get other distractions that you weren't expecting... Good luck!

I was also concerned about check-out times. Thanks for sharing your thoughts, this is super helpful!

• LibelulaLibelula Member
    16 karma

Just FYI, I was able to get a "day rate" (9am-5pm) at a local Hilton near my house. Since my wifi can be glitchy when it rains, I felt more confident taking the Flex at a hotel.

• lsatyayylsatyayy Alum Member
    178 karma

Do not write LSAT at a hotel. Your wifi will be terrible. I've tried and it was a disaster. Now I have to write it in October.

• sgd968413sgd968413 Member
    15 karma

These are both important considerations. Definitely makes sense to go the hotel route if your own WiFi has issues. That's good to know about the day rate!

@lsatyayy said:
    Do not write LSAT at a hotel. Your wifi will be terrible. I've tried and it was a disaster. Now I have to write it in October.

That's horrible - I'm so sorry to hear that! This is a possibility that I'm worried about. Best of luck when you retake in October!