Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT Order & Advice before Aug Test!

rwilso22rwilso22 Member
edited August 2020 in General 41 karma

Hi everyone! I am taking my test on the 29th, and unfortunately did not plan out my CC well enough to spend much time PTing. I have taken PT 37 (June 2002) and scored a 142, PT 38 (Oct 2002) and scored a 146, and PT 39 (Dec 2002) and scored a 157. I plan to take at least 2 or 3 more tests before the 29th to ensure having enough time to BR and relax before test day. Is there any specific PT order that I should follow for my upcoming PTs? Should I take newer PTs, rather than going in order? Are the older PTs that I have already taken "easier", and that is why I am increasing my score so much, or can I expect these scores to be a good baseline for my August test? Any thoughts, suggestions, tips, etc. are welcome! Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Matty-San247Matty-San247 Member
    edited August 2020 33 karma

Hi, I would not worry about the order of taking PTs. I have taken just about the same amount you mentioned and can unequivocally say my blind reviews have been similarly helpful. I do have a thing for going in order with PT material at times, but I genuinely do not think it weighs heavily on study results. From my experience, ordered PTing and random PTing seem to be merely a matter of preference. Perhaps others may think otherwise. Good luck.

• RaphaelPRaphaelP Member Sage 7Sage Tutor
    1121 karma

Hi! Older PTs are not necessarily easier, but are different - compared to the 80s, the 30s tend to have harder/trickier games, but slightly easier RC and LR sections. I do think practicing in the 80s can better prepare you for the real day, since there have been several changes over the last decade (comparative reading passages on RC, substitution equivalence questions on LG, and less of an emphasis on formal logic in LR but more of a focus on critical, detail-oriented reading). Recent flex tests have drawn from undisclosed tests 2012/2013 on (so the 70s/80s), so practicing those most resembles what you'll likely see. Some people do have an initial score dip (which recovers) when doing tests in the 80s, so practicing some in advance of the test might help.

• rwilso22rwilso22 Member
    41 karma

@rjp12345 said:
    Hi! Older PTs are not necessarily easier, but are different - compared to the 80s, the 30s tend to have harder/trickier games, but slightly easier RC and LR sections. I do think practicing in the 80s can better prepare you for the real day, since there have been several changes over the last decade (comparative reading passages on RC, substitution equivalence questions on LG, and less of an emphasis on formal logic in LR but more of a focus on critical, detail-oriented reading). Recent flex tests have drawn from undisclosed tests 2012/2013 on (so the 70s/80s), so practicing those most resembles what you'll likely see. Some people do have an initial score dip (which recovers) when doing tests in the 80s, so practicing some in advance of the test might help.

Thank you so much! Will definitely complete those.