Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How can one hit 170s?

fruitjamfruitjam Member
in General 70 karma

Hi everyone,

I've been blessed to have seen a 10+ point jump and am now pt'ing mid to high 160s.

My goal is 168, but I would love to consistently get over 170 in PT to account for any nerves for the actual test in October.
I usually miss the 4/5 or 5/5 difficulty questions and I review them to see why I got them wrong. Somehow, I keep getting a lot of them wrong. I usually get 0 or -1 on LG and -5 in LR, (-7 if I misread/misinterpret the easier questions). RC is ... a flip of the coin for me. I usually get -5~-7 wrong haha....(RC is my worst section :'( ) Seems like I really need to improve LR and RC.

I would love any advice! I've been doing 2~3 PTs per week, but my test is in October and would like to do more in September to grind. How can one confidently attack those 5/5 difficulty LR questions? Should I just take 4/5~5/5 difficulty questions every day? and if you saw improvements in RC, what would you recommend?

Thanks everyone :) and those who are in the same boat... let's keep trying hard!!!

Comments

• Gabriel M.Gabriel M. Member
    42 karma

Hey! For me, I struggle with LR a lot. A strategy that really helped me was this:
    I would go through LR sections (usually in the early preptests) and only read the stimulus. Read it thoroughly, but read it once. Once you get to that last full stop, you’re done, don’t go back, cover it up. Then do the following:
    1. Explain what you just read (I usually write it down, but you can say it aloud too).
    2. Categorize the type of stimuli (Argument? Premise Set? Debate? Controversy?).
    3. If it’s an argument, what’s the flaw? If it’s a premise set, what’s the inference? If it’s a debate, what’s the point at issue? If it’s a controversy, how can you resolve it?Write that down too! And only look at the argument again once you got all of this down so you can correct what you got wrong.
    DON’T read the answer choices. DON’T try to answer the question after that. Seriously.
    If you do this consistently (I tried to do this at least with one section a day), your memory and analysis will improve, and you’ll be able to read the stimuli quicker and move to the answer choices more sure about what you read and probs already with the inference or flaw in your head! But most importantly, if you do this often, you’ll start to notice patterns. Really. You’ll start to see how formulaic it is.
    It got me from -16 in LR every prep test to ~ -3.
    With RC I don’t really have a lot to say except that the answers are always in the passage.
    I’m taking the test in October too, so good luck to us!
    Hope this helped a bit :smile:

• fruitjamfruitjam Member
    70 karma

Wow thank you so much! That sounds like a great idea. I will practice that method today! :)) good luck on your journey!!

• sasha_a7sasha_a7 Member
    5 karma

Hey Gabriel,

That's great advice! Thanks for sharing that. I am giving that a try now, but I was wondering, how do you check to make sure that you correctly understood the flaw of an argument or correctly made an inference from a set of facts?

When looking at the explanation videos on 7sage or really any other source, they do not always break down the argument or set of facts, but rather just explain the answer to the question. Do you have any advice on how you make sure you are actually understanding accurately?

Thanks!

• serenas3serenas3 Member
    17 karma

The above strategy is actually from The Loophole by Ellen Cassidy, I highly recommend it!

• Ozzy SheikhOzzy Sheikh Member
    115 karma

@sasha_a7 Read every sentence carefully. Examine every word/phrase and make sure you fully understood it before moving on to the next one. It takes some practice, you may take some time to improve but the diligent effort will definitely bring your mental clarity/understanding to a higher level.

• sasha_a7sasha_a7 Member
    5 karma

@"Ozzy Sheikh" Thank you!!