Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help

PFT CommenterPFT Commenter Core Member
in General 249 karma

Hello everyone,
I have spent the past 10 days focusing mostly on RC. I am having a great deal of trouble with this section. JY's low-res summary has not helped me one bit. I am having great troubles understanding the passage before moving into the questions. I have started looking into possible tutors to help develop strategies that will help me. I had a call with a company called "Varsity Tutors" today, they gave me a quote of $1200 for 12 hours of 1 on 1 instruction time. The price seems absolutely ludicrous given the amount of supervision.
- Has anyone had a good experience working with Varsity Tutors?
- Is this price as outrageous as I think it is? Or am I just out of touch with industry standard?
- Has anyone hired a 7Sage tutor and can suggest them to me?

I'm feeling defeated at this point, and any help would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member
    320 karma

Don't feel defeated! You can definitely do this! I don't know what the standard pricing is but that sounds a little ridiculous. I don't know any 7Sage tutors, but I'm sure they would be much better with the pricing.

As for RC in general, I say just reading a lot helps. Not just reading LSAT-related things, or just RC passages, but reading in general.

• jengelhardt.2012jengelhardt.2012 Core Member
    3 karma

Hey PFT,

Have you ever tried just having Leroy teach you? One boop = one free lesson

• studyingandrestudyingstudyingandrestudying Core Member
    5254 karma

Did you try the RC Bible?

• tessaowenstessaowens Member
    edited September 2020 21 karma

I was having so much trouble with RC earlier this summer and then I started reading really hard things in my spare time, like classic novels written in older English (which tend to have difficult grammatical structures) and it helped me SO MUCH. I went from getting like -7 to even managing to get -0. Highly recommend! Another thing that also helped me was telling myself I was interested in every passage, it made understanding everything much easier for me :)

• PFT CommenterPFT Commenter Core Member
    249 karma

@lsatplaylist said:
    Did you try the RC Bible?

I have not. But that may be worth investing in. Thank you for your comment. I appreciate it.

• PFT CommenterPFT Commenter Core Member
    249 karma

@tessaowens said:
    I was having so much trouble with RC earlier this summer and then I started reading really hard things in my spare time, like classic novels written in older English (which tend to have difficult grammatical structures) and it helped me SO MUCH. I went from getting like -7 to even managing to get -0. Highly recommend! Another thing that also helped me was telling myself I was interested in every passage, it made understanding everything much easier for me :)

Thank you for your feedback, I really appreciate it. I’ll definitely look into your suggestion.

• Olivia GOlivia G Core Member
    19 karma

I would recommend the Bibles, but honestly at the end of the day, I found that what helps most is focusing on consciously rephrasing what you're reading in your own words. This really helps you get past the clutter of the LSAT and understand the main point, tone, etc. And for the questions where you get specific lines to reference to, the passage will still be there to reference. So, I found it more important to focus on understanding the passage as a whole.