PT81.S3.Q21-- evolution does not always optimize

DarklordDarklord Alum Member
edited September 2020 in Logical Reasoning 586 karma

Hi,

Like many others, I was stuck between A and C here. However, while I do understand JY's explanation that a "claim" does not need support while an "argument" does, I thought A was correct here because the second sentence of the stimulus (the sentence that gives an example of how evolution would optimize survival for moose) does seem to serve as "support" for the idea that "evolution does not always optimize survival of an organism", thus making the evolution thing an argument rather than a claim. Can anyone explain why C is right and not A?

Any #help would be appreciated!

Admin Note:. https://7sage.com/lsat_explanations/lsat-81-section-3-question-21/

Comments

• Nomads PoemNomads Poem Alum Member
    89 karma

Be careful reading answer choice (A) as it says citing an example to cast doubt on a COMPETING argument, not citing an example to support THE argument.
    I think that's where your confusion is. While this stimulus given IS an argument (where the example supports the conclusion), that is not what (A) is saying.

The conclusion is essentially saying the general claim "evolution always optimizes survival of an organism" IS NOT NECESSARILY TRUE.
    So the stimulus is providing an example to support the author's claim
    OR it can be thought of as a COUNTERexample to weaken the GENERAL claim (which is what answer choice (C) says).

(A) can be amended to make into a correct answer if you say "citing an example to cast doubt on a competing CLAIM"
    --> but as JY has explained, we're not given an argument. We're just given a negation of a general claim as the first sentence. That is why (A) is incorrect.

• DarklordDarklord Alum Member
    586 karma

wow this really helped! thanks @"Nomads Poem" !