Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

#Need Help RE: Core Curriculum v. Complete Prep Test

Pshelto8.-1Pshelto8.-1 Core Member
in General 6 karma

Hello-

I have been into a deep dive with the Core Curriculum (which has been extremely helpful with deepening my understanding). My issue is I have not taken a complete test for over a month now. Is this advisable? Should I follow the critical areas of the CC as listed in the syllabus from top to bottom (I have just begun the Logic section) or should I begin to weave into my studies full test? For information and response I have elected to take the January '21 test to provide more training time for solidifying these concepts.

Thank you for any information provided.

Best,

-PS

Comments

• Jose16FerJose16Fer Member
    48 karma

I advise you to do the core curriculum, because LSAT is a test of applying skills of Logic. The core curriculum gives you good examples of how you should implement skills learned on the core curriculum. Without learning any skill to do well on LSAT, it is pointless to take PT; you are wasting valuable PTs. Taking a PT will train you in a timing issue, but it would not improve your core understanding of LSAT. But if your score range is around 165 or above, then I think you should practice more with PT to improve accuracy. Hope it helps!!

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    456 karma

I would wait to take full PTs. Even now (only a month out from the exam) I am focused on drilling my worst section, taking 1 or 2 PTs a week additionally. When I first began 7sage (having practiced LG independently but nothing else), I PTed at 169 but still found CC to be helpful, especially for LR. CC will also probably pass more quickly than you realize-- I had the same itch to take PTs when I was going through it. However, I'm glad it went through the CC first, then did PTs which I used to refocus the drilling I did in between. I would follow also the format of the CC as well, because it builds on earlier concepts. The only caveat to that advice is that if during your diagnostic, you had a section that was -0, then I would maybe skim that section during CC, making sure to still do the problem sets to keep track of your progress.

• Pshelto8.-1Pshelto8.-1 Core Member
    6 karma

Very much appreciate your feedback Jose!

TARGET score range is 165+ (my goal) BUT, I am far from there. I was previously working with a coach where I progressed very slowly who basically assigned daily exercises (AR, LR and RC questions) and PT(s) twice per week. However, there was no in-depth explanations of core concepts. Thank goodness I discovered this site/application.

So, I will continue with the CC and take a PT in a few weeks to test application and assimilation of the concepts in real-time.

Thanks again,

-P

• karko2525karko2525 Member
    edited September 2020 620 karma

@pshelto8 how far along are you for CC?

If you are not done with CC, maybe you can start doing timed sections of certain problem sets or sections of the LSAT. For example, if you finished the LR portion of CC, I would recommend that you start incorporating timed LR sections. Timing was a huge thing for me and I deal with really bad anxiety so getting comfortable under timed conditions definitely took some practice. I made the mistake of doing too many problems untimed which got me comfortable with those conditions and more anxious when timed. But after I started doing exclusively timed sections and problems (after getting comfortable with the question stems and concepts), my speed and accuracy definitely increased. Event the mini timed sections that JY incorporates into CC for LR are super helpful so if a whole section is too much, definitely start with those! As for full PTs, I would hold off on them if you are not familiar with everything on the LSAT since CC will build your foundation for the exam. You won't really get a fair shot at the test if you take full PTs without first getting all the concepts down.