Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT Score Increase Addendum

Hey everyone! I am writing an addendum explaining my score increase (from a 167 in 2019 to a 173 this year). However, I am honestly not positive why my score increased, since my PT average remained the same in between tests - I just scored below my average the first time and scored right around my average on the second test. One reason I can think of is that I had a pretty bad headache during the first test, so that may have interfered with my concentration. Not sure whether this would be viewed as a good reason in an addendum, though. Any advice would be appreciated!

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

I don't think you should write an addendum at all - having multiple test scores with a higher second one is very common. If a school requires you to write an LSAT addendum, and you didn't change your study methods / can think of no other reason why your second score is higher, then I guess you can talk about the headache.

• HLEGC.2003HLEGC.2003 Alum Member
    257 karma

Thanks. Yeah, good point. I'm going to try to avoid writing one. This would mainly be for Michigan, which asks for an explanation if there's a difference of six or more points.

257 karma

Follow up question for anyone who might know: UChicago says "Any large differences between LSAT scores, GRE scores, or GMAT scores should be explained in an addendum" Does anyone have an idea of whether a six point increase would qualify as a "large difference?"

• dos_cooldos_cool Member
    76 karma

I really don't think any school would think twice about your scores. They are really looking for large discrepancies. For instance, my first take was a 148, and I'm currently PTing in the mid 160's, so if October goes well I will hopefully have to write one! I don't think a 167-173 warrants an addendum. Good luck!

257 karma

That makes sense, thanks. Best of luck on your retake!

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I would second discouraging this addendum. Especially if you feel like you do not have a good reason. I will say that feeling ill and having a headache could well be a great reason but, as you said yourself, you don't think it explains things. I also feel that they are looking for people with more than a 6 point bump. Congrats on the score.