Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

URM Question

Apologies if this isn’t the right place for this question.

On my LSAC profile and on applications I have been selecting two race/ethnicities, one of which is categorized as a URM and the other a non-URM. I’m curious if that’s something that would affect my applications/status (would I be considered a URM?), and if I could expect a URM boost. I have a little bit of a non-traditional app so I’m trying to account for everything correctly when using the predictor tool to help figure out where to apply and what my chances might be.

Thanks.

Comments

• kkole444kkole444 Alum Member
    1687 karma

Hello,
    If you select both URM and nonURM status the school will expect you to write a diversity statement on how this changes your view or how you have a different perspective how this and tie that into how that would make you a better lawyer. I would imagine that you can expect to get boost.

• kilgoretroutkilgoretrout Alum Member
    795 karma

Things having to do with race/ethnicity can really be so tricky, especially when people are mixed race/look a different way than people would typically expect. I would say you'd still be counted as a URM, because that part of your identity has still influenced your life and perspective. If you're writing a diversity statement as was mentioned above, that would definitely solidify your status as URM applicant. Good luck!

• T14plssssT14plssss Member
    134 karma

I'm half Latino, and from what I've gathered, if you're at all a URM, you're counted as a URM.

On the diversity statement:
    URM % is important to law schools. Writing a diversity statement is good if you feel like your ethnic background provides you with a unique personal and intellectual perspective, but I wouldn't write a diversity statement about race unless you truly feel that it will be compelling. A good diversity statement can help you, but a bad diversity statement can keep you out of a school you would have gotten in to. Be cautious. A school is not gonna take away your URM status for not writing a diversity statement. Diversity is important to good schools. Strong applicants are important to good schools. If you are a diverse, strong applicant, law schools will want you whether you write the diversity statement or not.