Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Integrating The Power Score Bible

Hans ZimmerHans Zimmer Member
in General 541 karma

Hi people,

So I got a 154 on the August flex and need to raise this at least three points by November

Games are my weakest section, I'm averaging around -9 or so. This is despite having foolproofed all games from PTs 1-35, in addition to FPing games from 10 other PTs.

Basically, I'm curious whether buying the powerscore bible right now is going to confuse me by giving me a new system this latw in the game (I'm very used to setting things up as J.Y does).

There other option is to keep drilling games the same way and hope to start seeing that infamous "click" people talk about.

I'd appreciate any advice.

Comments

• reaganmcdreaganmcd Member
    19 karma

I did the opposite and joined 7sage after going through all of the Power Score bibles and not seeing as big of an improvement as I wanted. There are benefits to both but ultimately it's a totally personal choice. Maybe Power Score will do things that click more with you, you won't know until you try. If you've done that much practice and are still around -9 I don't think it would hurt to switch it up and try something new.

• Hans ZimmerHans Zimmer Member
    edited September 2020 541 karma

@reaganmcd Did you find it difficult/confusing having two different approaches in mind?

I'm worried about ending up with two approaches amalgamating in my head and being worse off.

• hopefullinghopefulling Member
    edited September 2020 905 karma

The Powerscore Bible for logic games will have a different approach from 7-sage's more 'simplified' approach. The one added benefit is that it talks more about LG question types. It shouldn't be that difficult to integrate the two approaches, since they're not that different (sequencing becomes 'linear' and there are some additional subtypes - there's ultimately 8 types, 3 of which are 'rare' - linear basic, linear advanced, grouping, grouping-linear, pure sequencing, and rare (mapping, circular & pattern)). And they could be 'simplified' to the two types on 7-sage (sequencing (linear) and grouping (including in-and-out). I thought that the 'Misc' games are handled better in PS than on 7-sage. As much as games so odd can be! But the chapter on the 'rare games' may add insight. AND, if you continue to work problem sets from 7-sage to take advantage of the analytics (question types and overall timing of the game), then I don't think that adding PS would hurt.

But, learn from my mistake from focusing to improve LR: don't exclusively study LG at the negligence of RC and LR. I read two books to work on my LR score (the Loophole first and then a logic textbook) and my RC and LG suffered when I started PT'ing/drilling again. Try to still integrate at least drills on those sections while you're LG'ing.

Good luck!

I don't know if this would help, but maybe take a game (untimed), and replace every noun with something bland (easy for sequencing, just to use the letter and thing of the 'things' as just being 'arranged'; for grouping, think maybe in terms of 'group 1', etc ??). Maybe if you try to strip away all the 'context nouns' (I just did a game with boats - so I would just ignore the distracting idea of having boats), the logic will become more apparent for making inferences. And maybe the next game of the same type will be easier as a result??

I LOVE the PS Logical Reasoning Bible. I love how much information is packed into it. It really helped clarify foundational information for me. (Off-topic, but I did a google search for 'LSAT Mill's Method' and Powerscore and a logic textbook popped up as references - albeit in the PS book it just mentions that learning Mill's Methods (for causation) are not necessary ... but I loved that they provided a bit of side-topic data that no other LSAT book does, at least the ones that I've read, anyways). It also has a really in-depth flaw chapter.

• reaganmcdreaganmcd Member
    19 karma

@"Hans Zimmer" Sorry for the late response. Personally no I didn't have that issue. For whatever reason I didn't retain the Power Score Bibles very well I just don't think it was a good fit for me. After a few weeks of 7sage things clicked and I've been PT'ing in the 160's ever since. So it's possible to have experience with both and still find success.

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

"Basically, I'm curious whether buying the powerscore bible right now is going to confuse me by giving me a new system this latw in the game (I'm very used to setting things up as J.Y does)."

Honestly I think it might, I found the PowerScore LG setups and ways of demonstrating rules pretty different from 7Sage setups. I started with the PowerScore LG and found that it made me really slow at games and bad at creating setups. I used 7Sage after PowerScore and it worked much better for me.

Everyone is different, though, so you may find that PowerScore works well for you. I feel like I'd advise against switching to it now because I don't think reading through a big book of rules is necessarily the best use of time when you want to re-take soon, just my two cents. It's probably more important to actively do games and figure out where your issues lie (is it timing, missing inferences, misreading the rules, rushing through a board setup then having to re-do it, etc). If you were re-taking farther along down the road then maybe it'd be worth a shot. On the off chance that you are located in the North Virginia area, feel free to PM me for a free LG Bible. I have all of the Bibles and would be happy to give them away lmao

I would definitely advise looking at PowerScore and ManhattanPrep forums, though. They are free and show different setups - sometimes JY's are not the best or don't resonate with you as much as other setups do. Also read the comments of LG explanation videos. Sometimes people (including myself) drop descriptions of their board game setup if it's different from the video.

541 karma

@reaganmcd @hopefulling

Thank you both for the responses!

@noonawoon I am thinking that you're right, in that starting to read the PS bible while planning to retake soon is inefficient. I do really like J.Y's set ups, and I just scored a -5 on a section, albeit an easier one, this is perhaps a sign of more to come?

I think I'm going to keep plucking away at games and perhaps in the future, if desperate, mix in the bible.

• mbmeowwwmbmeowww Member
    58 karma

Glad I found this. Thanks everyone.

• mbmeowwwmbmeowww Member
    58 karma

@reaganmcd said:
    I did the opposite and joined 7sage after going through all of the Power Score bibles and not seeing as big of an improvement as I wanted. There are benefits to both but ultimately it's a totally personal choice. Maybe Power Score will do things that click more with you, you won't know until you try. If you've done that much practice and are still around -9 I don't think it would hurt to switch it up and try something new.

I am in the same boat. Went through Power Score and, to say the least, was not pleased with my results in August. LG is the only section where I am consistently -9 or -10. It is the one thing really holding me back. I am hoping 7sage will help make the difference for my retake. fingers crossed

• snelllasnellla Core Member
    103 karma

I would stick with 7sage. I think that the problem might be more that you have only really done the games from 1-35. Its important to do newer games, as they can be really different. Instead of learning a new program, I would proof games 70+. Games in the 60s tend to be harder as well. I don't think that a new program will change that. If you really want to add something, I would add the Loophole for LR. Its made a big difference for me. I got a 154 in August. I started the loophole 2 days after the test and just got a 162 on my PT yesterday.

541 karma

@snellla This is a great point that I somehow hadn't considered. I've been mostly doing older games... damn. I knew the ones on the flex just felt a bit "weird".

I'm going to seriously increass my exposure to the newer games over the coming weeks.

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the Loophole book!