Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Application Question

hey guys

if anyone could help me out, i was just wondering does anyone know how important it is to admissions for us to have experience in the legal field? i dont really have anything except one short internship where i just helped out with some legal related things occasionally. i mostly just have retail experience and some positions in school clubs. do you think thats something that could cause a rejection or look bad?

i also read that if u dont have anything in ur application showcasing that u have helped people/spoken up for people, don't say that u want to do it and that its a reason for pursuing law in ur personal statement, but idk how accurate that is..i didnt think there was anything wrong with saying that something u went through or whatever makes u want to do that, regardless of what experiences you've had..any opinions??

THANK YOU!

Comments

• WouldRatherBeEatingWouldRatherBeEating Alum Member
    456 karma

Following. Especially interested if this is important for T20 / T14 schools

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited September 2020 4306 karma

So I attended the LSAC forum this past weekend and heard that question asked a lot. I honestly think it depends on the schools you're applying to because each school had a different response. For some the reply was "We actually prefer if you come in with different types of experience. However, if you don't have things on your resume (internships, classes, volunteer work) that show your interest in law, you have to work harder to show us why you're now interested in law." Other schools said, "It isn't a must but it is nice to see a year or so of legal experience because that shows your interest or maybe why you became interested." I recommend attending info sessions to the schools you're interested in and asking them directly so you have a clear idea of where they stand.

P.S- Overall it didn't feel like something that was vital to the application, so if you don't have any experience I think you'll be okay :)

• legallytiredlegallytired Member
    442 karma

@"Law and Yoda" okay great, thats a bit of a relief to hear. thank you so much! i appreciate it