Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Help with 15 point LSAT score jump addendum

rebecca.temkinrebecca.temkin Alum Member
in General 10 karma

Hello! I have a 3.7 GPA from an Ivy League school, and I took the LSAT 3 times. The first time I got a 154, the second time a 164, and the third a 168. I was told by at least one school that I need to write an addendum, however, I'm struggling with the right language to explain my massive score jump. In reality, I was in a PhD program that I was planning on dropping out of, and I was trying to balance studying for the LSAT while also doing all of my normal grad school work, although I don't feel like this is a good enough "excuse." Another reason is that I just didn't give myself enough time to study, and the other scores are the result of many months of studying + a prep course. Can you help me figure out what kind of language to use for this problem? In addition, I was on the dean's list every semester of college except for 1 semester where my GPA dropped to a 3.2. I don't have much of an explanation here, except for the fact that I was taking really hard classes that were outside of my major. Do I need to write something about my GPA, or should I keep it to my LSAT? And what language should I use around the LSAT score?

Thank you!

Comments

• dos_cooldos_cool Member
    76 karma

I think your gradual improvement just shows that you learned the test and put the work in. I know some schools ask for an addendum, but I think it's ridiculous to have to explain "I studied and got a better score". My hunch is that the score jump addenda are for, say, a 14 point jump in 2 months, which would require some explanation as to why the lower score occurred. I think it's obvious that you just put in the work and got a great score!

• rebecca.temkinrebecca.temkin Alum Member
    10 karma

Yeah, that's what I'm hearing! I think I might get on the phone with the school who asked for one and get some clarification. Thanks!