Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Should I ask for LORs from 3-month Internships??

WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
edited October 2020 in General 476 karma

Hi all!

I'd been thinking about this for some time and I couldn't come up with a satisfactory answer myself so I decided to write here.

After graduating from college I interned at a government contracting firm for 6 months.
First 3 months was with Financial Management,
Second 3 months was with Leadership and Organizational Development.

Both supervisors from both departments liked me. I believe I was going to be offered an extension for another 3 months at the end, however,
I was basically transferred over to L&OD from FM because nobody could train me and they wanted someone who could do finance and accounting who didn't need training (my background is not in this area). They thought they could train me to do the job at the time of hiring.

I think my supervisor from FM (the first internship) would write me a better LOR because that was before Covid and he's recognized my work ethics and attitude but I'm concerned about the fact that I was transferred because I couldn't perform the tasks for the job.

The supervisor from the second 3-months also liked me but I don't think he will have much to write about in the letter because we all worked from home and he barely saw me during the last 3 months.

I quit after 6 months due to possible exposure to Covid and also to start studying full time for LSAT.

My first question is should I even ask for an LOR from such short internships?
If yes, which supervisor do you think I should ask for the LOR??

Any thoughts will be greatly appreciated and good luck for those of you are writing NOV LSAT!

LOR
  1. from which supervisor??5 votes
    1. 1st supervisor from FM who liked me but had to transfer me over
      100.00%
    2. 2nd supervisor from L&OD who liked me but barely knows me
        0.00%

Comments

• elisebejvanelisebejvan Member
    21 karma

These are my own thoughts so feel free to take them or leave them:
    I don't think you should get caught up in the length of the internship, but focus on who will be able to write a better letter for you. I personally would ask the first supervisor who knows your strong work ethic and they can always refuse to write a letter if they are concerned about the transfer situation. However, looking at it from an outsider perspective, it doesn't sound like it's your fault you were transfer, they just didn't have anyone that could train you. Good luck!

• WhatslsatWhatslsat Member
    476 karma

@elisebejvan
    Hi Elisebejvan,

I'm leaning towards asking for an LOR from the first supervisor too, thanks so much for sharing your thoughts! It's reassuring to hear what other people think of the situation and very helpful to get outsider's perspective. Thanks :)