Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

GPA Recency Bias in Admissions?

I'm a non URM with a 3.17 undergrad GPA. I wasn't at all prepared when I got to college and didn't have the maturity for it. After 2 years I had a 2.2 GPA and over the next few, worked my way back up to a 3.17. I'm aiming for a 170 LSAT and I'm not too worried about hitting at least 168+ but definitely think 170 is doable. (PTing at 165 after 5 or 6 weeks with lots of room for improvement on LG where I'm currently -7 to -10)

How much do admissions tend to care about the trajectory vs the flat value of the GPA? I definitely plan to write about this growth in maturity and change in mindset that allowed me to grow from a terrible student to a solid one but I know a 3.17 cumulative is low.

Ideally looking to get into UT.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Law and YodaLaw and Yoda Alum Member
    edited October 2020 4312 karma

Having a lower GPA will require you to play your cards more thoughtfully, but you are still very much apart of the race just as much as anyone else. Beginning with weak grades that get stronger might show your potential and maturity over the years. An upward trajectory is always a good indicator of hard work and perseverance, better than having a downward dip.

With that said, each admissions team reviews the transcript to help understand the applicant's academic success. I think you could argue for strengths and weaknesses in both cases. A preference towards an upward trend or a flat GPA will all depend on the admissions team and what they are looking for in their current cycle to meet the schools numbers. Since you know you have an upward trajectory and plan to address it, don't worry about factors outside of your control. Focus on showcasing why the upward trajectory makes you the best decision that they'll make this cycle.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

@"Law and Yoda" gives excellent advice. You cannot control the cards in your hand, but you do control how you play them. A GPA addendum is probably a very solid idea, and just be honest and take responsbility for your immaturity. Are you in undergrad now? Schools also tend to value GPA less highly the more work experience you have. If you are a few years removed that may also help.

• mavernon3mavernon3 Member
    20 karma

That's true. It's not like I can change my GPA. I am just trying to gauge what kind of score I need to be aiming for on the LSAT to compensate. I graduated in December of 2016 and have plenty of colleagues, including my direct supervisor, that would be able to write me glowing recommendation letters.

I do feel better about the GPA after brainstorming a few solid ways to approach it in an addendum.

Thanks to both of you