January Test-Takers - Anyone Working Full-Time?

tanvir.dhami9tanvir.dhami9 Core Member
in General 24 karma

Hey fellow LSATers,

I'm scheduled to take the test in January, and started studying the first week of October. I average about 2 hours during the weekdays and 8 total on the weekends (~20hrs per week). It's a schedule I've been able to stick to really well.

Its tough to balance studying and working full-time. Has anyone done something similar/have any tips? At this point I have kind of accepted I'll have to re-take the test again with more rigorous studying, but I want to give the January one my best possible.

Appreciate any help!

Comments

• gabbykorn45gabbykorn45 Member
    9 karma

I work full time and the best schedule I have found is early morning like 6 or 7am til 10 or 11. weekdays. Then I take Saturday off and Sunday I do a practice test and blind review. very tiring but you got this!!!

• 39 karma

I started studying in early August for the November test. (Will be my first LSAT) I work full time as a legal assistant. I'm able to study at work if I don't have any immediate tasks. When I get home at 5:30 I'll have an early dinner then study till I'm too tired to study. I'll do a prep test on Saturday and break/half blind review on Sunday, then finish on Monday. I go over my blind review on Tuesday then begin drilling again till Saturday. I am anticipating that I will also be taking the January test. It's all about finding your own groove because not everyone is able to study after work or even during work. Some people study in the morning; that is something that is not for me. Find your rhythm and try not to burn out.

• ansleyrathansleyrath Core Member
    21 karma

Yes! I was slated to take the November Flex, realised the date was going to be the week of the 7th instead of the 15th and moved mine back so I had extra time to study. I work full time in banking. It's a lot.

• brookegojazzbrookegojazz Core Member
    360 karma

I'm working full time as well. I'm a teacher so my work day starts early(ish) at 7:00 AM so I usually study at night. I'm also a parent so on weekdays I study for about an hour before dinner and then after I put my daughter to bed for another hour or so/until I'm too tired to be productive. Weekends I usually take a PT or do some intensive study for 3-4 hours and then take either Saturday/Sunday off or work on PS/researching schools but not LSAT. I do a PT about every 1.5-2 weeks, including an in-depth blind review. It's definitely a little tricky working full time and I've had to slow down/be patient with when I will take the LSAT and apply, but it's manageable if you keep a schedule and do a quality study session. I really try and make sure I'm focusing on what I need to because my time is limited, not just doing random stuff to 'fill' study time.

• gramos1793gramos1793 Core Member
    26 karma

I'm in the military and it's incredibly difficult. I'm fortunate that I currently have a job with a predictable schedule (usually it's not like that) but I found that I wake up early around 0500 to 0530 and study until about 0700-0730 and study at night from 2130 until I'm tired. Practice test on Saturday blind review Sunday.

• mavernon3mavernon3 Member
    20 karma

I try to set and stick to a minimum amount that I'll do on a given day. During the week I try to do at least 1 full section of LG and then a PT on Saturday. This usually ends up with me doing more than that during the week but it gives me a starting point that I'll be at each day and if I can't do more than the section, I won't. Many times I can do more, though.

The biggest tip is probably to develop at least some consistency because it's very easy to not feel like doing any studying after working a full day.