Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For those who had successful Flex testing conditions, what device did you use?

_iamnw96_iamnw96 Alum Member
in General 437 karma

I have a brand new Mac Air 2020 that I’m planning to use for exam day, bc the other computers in my house are 2015 and older and don’t run as fast.

I saw somewhere that someone had issues with their new Mac which makes me a bit nervous. Just wanted to see what past test takers took their exams on. Or any general tips for a smooth testing day.

Comments

• 769 karma

I used a Mac and it died while I was taking the test so I would suggest keeping it plugged in while you take it

• detroit_suzukadetroit_suzuka Alum Member
    194 karma

Internet connection:- Xfinity 100Mbps

Routers:- Google mesh wifi,
    There were 2 verizon phones with hotspots on standby

Computer: Lenovo Gaming laptop, bought around 2018

Browser:- Google chrome

The exam went without a hitch, now don't ask about scores.

• cdchampi1919cdchampi1919 Core Member
    39 karma

Use Google Chrome and make sure to test the equipment using that specific browser. It informed me half way through the test that I needed to update my brower, so I clicked the link and it had me download a ProctorU extension for Chrome! Good luck :)

• dudekcdudekc Core Member
    46 karma

I too used my Mac Air 2020 and had significant connectivity issues. I live in a rural area so this may be to blame. I was told that LSAC had lots of connectivity problems with the October test, however, so it may have been a combination of both. Hopefully November goes better. Best of luck!

• Tori98765Tori98765 Member
    105 karma

I used my Mac Air 2015 and it worked great. No connectivity issues, no battery issues. I think your internet connection is more important than the computer itself. Good luck!

• Did anybody use Firefox?

• canihazJDcanihazJD Alum Member Sage
    8313 karma

'12 macbook air 11" running whatever the latest OS is and Chrome. No hardware/software related issues across multiple flex tests. Run off of hotel ethernet, home wifi (Netgear Nighthawk on Spectrum), and once on a t-mobile hotspot. Just do a dry run the day before with ProctorU on chat. They'll test everything out for you.

• AKReichertAKReichert Member
    100 karma

MacBook Pro 2019
    Google Chrome
    Cox internet (purchased a new modem with separate router and that made my connection much stronger)

No issues at all.

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

I used a 2 year old laptop that is literally falling apart. Like, the case is cracking apart and pieces have come off. It was definitely not what I intended, but the new one I had sent to me got held up for several weeks in a container in Miami. It still went perfectly. As long as it runs decently and you have a stable connection you should be fine. I closed every background program for speed and because I did not want any security flags, and running just your camera and the secure browser is not too taxing on a system generally.

You should be absolutely fine, just test your system and browser ahead of time and install the extension.

• w.klemtw.klemt Alum Member
    67 karma

I used a new MacBook Air for the July test. I tested my software and had everything installed ahead of time, but still had trouble connecting with my proctor. I was pretty stressed because I had to shut down my computer and reinstall the program, but after that it worked! Not sure what the issue was..

The best thing I can say, is that even if you have connection issues, the people at Proctor U are very helpful and understanding. I was messaging with the Proctor U help desk, and they helped me troubleshoot. It took me an hour to finally get connected with my proctor, but it didn't detract at all from my test time. If you have connection issues just try to stay calm, and send a message to the help desk, and don't stress that you are losing valuable time. It will all work out!

• hallmadisonhallmadison Member
    4 karma

@SurfandSailandFly said:
    Did anybody use Firefox?

I used firefox and it worked great :) it will tell you it can't gather your PC data when you test on ProctorU prior to the test, but that won't affect the actual exam.