Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

LSAT V. LSAT-FLEX?

skyehighskyehigh Core Member
in General 10 karma

Hi all! I just did at PT with all 4 sections on, and did about 10 points better than when I take a PT simulating the LSAT-Flex. I understand that the original PT with 4 sections is supposed to be worth more or what not, but is anyone else experiencing this? Or are my scores just fluctuating like crazy? I write the Flex on the 10th and am becoming fairly discouaged!

Comments

• VerdantZephyrVerdantZephyr Member
    2054 karma

A four section test is more accurate than a flex, so if you did better congrats!! Good news before the test

• TimeIsMoneyTimeIsMoney Member
    495 karma

I studied for months for the regular LSAT before the flex was introduced and I had to take it. It was a big mistake for me. I ended up scoring about 6 points lower than me full length PTs.... The flex is definitely scored differently and to be honest LSAC has not take responsibility for this skew because some test takers do better while others do worse, just depends on your strengths. Don't become discouraged though! I think you can do it!! Just go into it thinking you're taking a full length test. Best of luck!

• 1952 karma

this was the may flex conversion released by lsac: https://lsac.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/360056747654-May-2020-LSAT-FLEX-Sample-Conversion-Chart

my first impression of the flex was that it'd be disadvantageous to people who are stronger at lr and weaker at rc (or games). although the may flex represents only one test, the curve wasn't so bad!

• goforbrokegoforbroke Core Member
    320 karma

I think it's a moot point since all the tests for the rest of this cycle will be Flex. Just stick with Flex for now since it will more accurately reflect actual test scores.

• ZingZingZipZipZingZingZipZip Core Member
    25 karma

If you are strong in LR and weaker in RC and/or Games, then your 4 section score will be better than your 3 section score, as each section is weighted equally within each tests. As in, roughly speaking, in a 4 section test, LR ends up being half of our score (with each section as 25% of your score, so 50% total) but in a 3 section test, it's only a third, so mistakes on RC and Games will have a bigger impact on your total score.

• mhf.andrewmhf.andrew Member
    207 karma

My take is this: strong at LR means consistently strong at LR, and even though the flex does not offer the opportunity to double up, being consistently strong at LR is an asset on the flex.
    Suppose your range is -2 to -4, and compare that to another range, say -4 to -8. Sure, some some test takers in the latter range will get -4, but probably just as many will also get -7 to -8, and they will not have the opportunity to balance out the score with another LR section.
    For consistently strong, and for the consistently bad, a one section LR is a good sure thing; for the competent but occasionally very good at LR (which is probably a lot of test takers), a one section LR presents a big gambol.

• skyehighskyehigh Core Member
    10 karma

Thank you everyone! This was really helpful!!