Letters of Recc - Professors Won't Respond

Admittedly, I am in a bit of a jam. I am 3 years out of undergrad and reached out to two of my professors (whom I was close with) about writing me letters of recc. Neither has gotten back to me about if they'd write me a letter (followed up with one once and haven't followed up with the other yet). I have one professional letter of rec coming from my work, but am worried if I submit my applications without an academic reference. Any ideas on what to do next? Should I reach out to more professors? Or is it okay if I only have professional references given I have been out of undergrad for so long?

Comments

• noonawoonnoonawoon Alum Member
    3481 karma

Depends on where you are applying, I know more competitive schools strongly prefer academic references and 3 years is not a super long time out of school. I would still pursue an academic letter and message other professors. Make sure you are doing everything you can to make it easier for them by including your resume, personal statement, a few sentences on why you want to go to law school, maybe sample work from their class, etc all with the request for a letter.

• edited November 2020 1952 karma

i'd try to get at least 1 academic letter. to do so, i think i'd reach out to more professors.

i'm +5 years out of undergrad, so i think i can relate.

i think asking the professors in person (during office hours) or setting up a zoom meeting first might help, instead of bluntly writing an email asking for the letter right away after a number of years.

i first emailed the professors to have a meeting with them to "give updates and share my plans." i also indicated in the email my interest to have a discussion about the "possibility to speak of my work in a letter" at the end. i put it as an open discussion and phrased it as if i was giving them an opportunity to decide after the meeting.

i had emailed 3 professors, and 2 professors were willing to meet with me.

in the meeting, we chatted for a while, talked about their class, shared my passion and plans, and finally, i asked them if they were willing to write me the letter – they all said yes.
    i had my résumé, previous work, personal statements, guides to write a successful letter, etc. ready for them.

i think professors might find it a bit overwhelming if they see a sudden request for a letter after a number of years, along with all those documents attached, in one email. break those into smaller pieces, and make the process more smooth/natural.

on a final note, when you're emailing your professors, i'd make sure to have your profile picture set up with your email. your professors might not be able to recognize you, and it might help them see your picture and match it with your name.

good luck!