Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PT3.S2.Q14

edited November 2020 in Logical Reasoning 117 karma

Can someone please explain to me how B weakens the argument and not D?

Comments

• SSBM1000SSBM1000 Member
    614 karma

Hello,

B weakens the argument because it gives a potential reason why the same training regimen might not be effective anymore. Quincy argues that the training regimen has been used by thousands of physicians, and asks why what has worked in the past should be changed. B counters this by saying that something in the medical field is changing compared to how it was in the past, in this case being the medical reimbursement polices for recuperation times, and thus gives Pamela something to point to as past polices and practices aren't exactly the same as they used to be, so it's possible the training regimen needs to change.

D is wrong because, according to Quincy, everyone went through the same training regimen, so they all had the same workload. Even if we assume that him saying they went through the same training still allows them to have different workloads due to their specialties, that doesn't really mean anything because it doesn't counter that thousands of physicians in training, who encompass many of these different specialties, were able to make good medical decisions during their training.

• PlatinumPlatinum Member
    363 karma

Hi @Dorinet_ here is my opinion.

“Which one of the following, if true, is the most effective counter Pamela might make to Quincy’s argument? So we are asked to weaken what Quincy is saying to Pamela.

Here is my paraphrase:

Pamela is saying that Physicians who are training for a medical specialty job work long hours. Up to 36 hours which are consecutive. Those type of hours makes the Physicians have fatigue which ultimately impairs the Physician’s abilities to make the best medical decisions during their final hours of their work shifts.

Quincy responds by saying that there have been thousands of physicians who now are practicing in the medical field who were previously trained while working those types of 36 hour long consecutive shifts. Also, there is record that shows those physicians who worked those similar training hours made good medical decisions during their trainings. So, why what has worked in the past now be changed?

In my opinion, I take this question as asking what is an assumption that is the strongest which could counter/weaken what Quincy is saying to Pamela further wearing Quincy’s position.

AC (B) is correct because it clearly mentions that compared to the past, patients, on average are more seriously ill nowadays. If patients are now more ill than before, then there needs to be a better procedure for ensuring doctors are not as tired and careless, because patients are now more sick. Because patients are now more sick, that possibly means that the physicians on assignment can’t just be day dreaming walking around fatigued, especially during their final shift hours while not having the ability to use their brains as much. Because patients now need more attention and care as the patients are now more sick than before there needs to be some change.

AC (C) doesn’t weaken the point that Quincy is making. He is asking why should we change something that has worked in the past? But it doesn’t help explain why we should change procedures as give a reason we should change. It adds extra information about continuity of physician care which is good, but then adds something about the critical period after admission, generally 24hours. That just doesn’t help counter why should we care that what has worked in the past should now be changed. Maybe if this answer choice had mentioned that recently compared to the past, the most critical part of the day of patients was always during the physician’s last hours of their shifts and that is when patients always get the most sick, would this be a better contender.

I hope this post helps.

• edited November 2020 117 karma

@SSBM1000 Thank you, your explanation it helped me a lot!

• 117 karma

@Platinum Thank you for breaking the question/answer down for me, it helped a lot!

• PlatinumPlatinum Member
    363 karma

@Dorinet_ said:
    @Platinum Thank you for breaking the question/answer down for me, it helped a lot!
    Awesome! Glad to be of assistance.